Help recovering original Photo Booth Photos (Pre-effects)?

Reaction score
Hi there- I'm hoping someone can help me recover the original photos (Pre-effects) in Photo Booth. My daughter has some great photos of herself and my 8 year old son, who we lost this summer. I can tell some are great photos and I am hoping to recover them. We're on OSX and when I right click the photos in the horizontal line under the large pic, it gives the option to "Export Original" for the newest pics, but the older ones (with our boy) do not have that option (it's grayed out.)

Many thanks for any tips!
M

Reaction score
Hi There, I think I may be able to help you. The original files are located in the pictures folder.
I will try to go thru this step by step:

1. Open new Finder window
2. Open Pictures folder
3. Right Click the "Photo Booth Library"
4. Select "Show Package Contents"
5. Open the Folder called "Originals"

and all the photos taken with photo booth should be in there. Please let me know if this worked. If you have any trouble following my instructions I can do a video tutorial for you that will show you exactly how to do this.

Reaction score
Hi Dennis- Thank you, that did locate the originals for everything taken since December, but not the older files. I'm not sure why that would be...

Reaction score
Hi Dennis- Thank you, that did locate the originals for everything taken since December, but not the older files. I'm not sure why that would be...
huh? I wonder if maybe it erased files during an upgrade or something like that. Do you have multiple users accounts set up for you Mac. That may effect it also. There should be a way.

Reaction score
I'm afraid it has something to do with the upgrade. I logged in as a different user, but the photos in iphoto are separate and the ones on the second (not main) profile don't even give me the same options. It does seem that there should be a way and I am desperate to figure it out!

Ask a Question