Help please panic error

Reaction score
I know absolutely nothing about Mac. This my niece's computer and she knows less than me.
The system is an Imac with a 17 inch flat panel screen, two 512 hard drives, I don't know the memory. brought sometime in 2000.
The current problems: the cd drawer wouldn't open. I resolved this by holding down the mouse on start up.
Next : the system was going straight into OS9 on starup. I resolved this by holding down the X key on startup and Os 10 came back.
Couldn't leave alone and tried to update the computer with what appears to be an update for a notebook not an Imac.
The screen turned gray with a flashing globe, guestion mark and finally a gray screen with a panic error
Recieved a panic error message, panic cpu 0 unable to find driver for this platform power mac 4.5
Next I held down the command and letter S at starup, held it until error code was finished running, screen turned black with white error code message.
Could not type fsck -y
The first time I did this it would aloow me to type the fsck -y, but it was 3 in the morning and I shut down.
What do I do?, I can hold the mouse down and force the Cd draw to open and put in the install or restore software or should I try to resett the Pram

Reaction score
Hi Marlene,i have a similar problem,i found out that the discs ARE machine dependant,eg: i have Imac 10.4.4 discs,but cannot load on my older g4 powermac says the same error but powerbook 1,2,i guess we have to purchase the proper install discs from apple or a reputable ebay/apple software seller good luck m8:)

Ask a Question