Kernel panic- Please help!

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm not very Mac savy, and I really need help. I've been having kernel panic with my MacBook pro (15 inch, mid 2010), sometimes multiple times in an hour. I updated to Yosemite recently, and it seems to actually be getting worse. I tried to paste the error message into this box, but apparently it's too long for the forum. Is there particular section where I should be looking for what's causing the panic?

I use my computer for work, and don't have the money to take it anywhere to get fixed right now, so really need to try to deal with this myself.

THANK YOU!

Reaction score
The first thing to do is determine the "health" of the internal hard drive inside your machine. I suspect you do not have a backup, so to do that, you'll need to boot the machine into "Recovery Mode", that, boot to the Recovery HD partition. To do that, hold down the Command and R keys right after you turn on the machine. Continue to hold those keys down until the "boot up progress bar" as about half way. You can then release those keys. Eventually, you'll get a screen with 4 options, and one of them will say Disk Utility. Choose that one.

In Disk Utility, click once on the icon for your hard drive, and then select Verify Disk. Not sure what that will tell you, but then click on Repair Disk. Do the same for Verify and Repair Permissions. After BOTH of those processes have completed, quit Disk Utility, and re-start your machine.

Here is a discussion about Kernel Panics, and other things you can try:

http://macs.about.com/od/usingyourmac/qt/Troubleshooting-Os-X-Kernel-Panics.htm

Last edited:

Ask a Question