Kernel Panic on New IMac when installing the latest Mac OS high sierra

Reaction score
just bought a new iMac 27" Retina display and was installing the latest Mac OS high sierra app when the screen wanted to restart and got stuck with the "kernel panic" message coming on the screen....then the apple icon then a small message appeared on the top left screen and disappeared quickly....then the screen goes back to the kernel panic message....then the iMac just turns off.....can't restart the i mac...live in Fiji and no proper apple support office

Reaction score
Hopefully Spawn_Dooley's suggestion works. There have been issues with High Sierra, and even though Apple is getting ready with an update soon (OS 10.13.1), from what I read, there could still be issues.

Just curious about a couple of things:

1. Did you upgrade "in place", ie, basically allow High Sierra to overwrite what you had there before?

2. Why did you upgrade? Myself, I see nothing as a "must have" in High Sierra, and thus I am waiting. Also, with all the significant file structure changes, quite a few developers have expressed some concerns with the initial release.

3. Did you insure that all your third party applications are compatible with High Sierra? I have had to download updates for at least 4 programs, but I am still not ready to upgrade yet.

4. How are you making posts here? Are you using another Mac? And if you are, what exact model, and what OS are you using on it?

5. Are you making backups to an external device? That is so, so critical!

6. Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective? You can actually do a lot of disk cleanup on your own, and there are some excellent programs available (both free and commercial) that can help you with those tasks.

Reaction score
I have tried using safe mode but it doesn't work......sorry I live in Fiji in the South Pacific and we don't have apple support offices.......as I am Abit ignorant in apple I bought the iMac because I have started a publishing company and needed it for graphics....so safe mode hasn't worked....how do I get a diagnostic report so that I can upload the report?....I have also tried Command R...then did first aid on the disk utility......and when I tried to go and reinstall macOS...a message comes up and says "The recovery server could not be contacted"

Last edited:
Reaction score
Unfortunately, it will be difficult to help you until you answer the questions I posed above. I'm especially "concerned" why you decided to "install" High Sierra. What OS was on the iMac when you purchased it?

Also, as I asked, how are you making posts here? Are you using another Mac? And if you are, what exact model, and what OS are you using on it? If that Mac and the iMac have the "right kind" or ports, there is a way of helping you get out of this.

And of course, the important task of backups! That is so, so critical.

It's important to understand that there is basically no "one button" solution to your issue. It is going to take some time and effort on your part, along with help from some of us here. As it is, High Sierra had issues right away, and they still exist. Sierra, OS 10.12.6, is actually a very stable OS, and for myself at least, there is nothing in High Sierra that I must have in order to "upgrade". However, once it has stabilized, and once my other two critical apps have upgrades available for High Sierra compatibility, I will "upgrade" from from Sierra, OS 10.12.6, to High Sierra, OS 10.13.something. And I will not upgrade "in place".

Last edited:

Ask a Question