Hello. MacBook Pro - cant log in!

Reaction score
Hello mac help boards. I have a human error issue.

I own a Mac Book Pro laptop that I purchased from Apple in 2001. It worked great for 10 years - and then I retired it for a newer model.

Recently - I pulled it out of storage to get some old documents - and realized I dont remember my login or password. Ive tried all the combo's that I can remember - and nothing works. Its my own fault. Is there a way in?

thank you in advance.

Reaction score
Boot of the Install DVD and reset the Password, it's an option under one of the Menus.

Reaction score
Boot of the Install DVD and reset the Password, it's an option under one of the Menus.

Thanks. I'll have to see if I can find the original software from 10 years ago. Hopefully its still around.

If not - do I have any other options? Could I procure that software startup disc from other places?

Reaction score
I have a similar issue, only 6 years unused, cant remember password and loaned the OS9 disks and they were stolen.
need to gt into it as it has some very precious photos.
I have tried the online command S prompt, but it wont accept any of the prompts,
even the ones the screen tells me to put in.
says bad command or unknown
am at my wits end. heeelp
2 so called comp fixits in town have NO mac experience, small rural isolated , well and truly stuck.

Reaction score
thanks for the reply, appreciate. have been advised of alternative but unsure if it will work mines a dual usb setup, if I do find a way I will send a link:)

Reaction score
Just remember if you break the User Account everything in it will be lost!

If you have access to another Mac you can join them via FireWire and put it into Target mode, get you files off. Then Reformat the Drive and reinstall the OS to use it, but you'll need the DVD to do that.

Reaction score
Hmm yes I have 2 other macs I thing G3? the tv like all in one types. my emergency back up for when the pcs die they both have the same imac prg running I think? the install restore disk I have is 9.0.4. i think I upgraded them to the same 10 2 8..but was ages ago, probably a mates disk? the laptop was running 10.2.4 or 8 from memory.( base was OS9) so can you tell me how to use firewire? I have a usb to usb cable somewhere female both ends knew it would be handy one day..if I can find it:) I gather I link them and start both up.. but if the laptop wont allow me to open it..I am puzzled how it can work.? not quite a novice but not far off, been too long not using my macs

Reaction score
ok..damn it gets confusing, and what?? is a firewire then? I have one of those multiple wire pc to pc connectors, is that what theyre calling firewire? chunky ended thing looks like an adsl cable?

Ask a Question