Have I been hacked?

Reaction score
I notice there is some little letters and numbers on my icon that were not there before. Could this mean that I have been hacked?

Here is what it looks like:

Attachments

• HD.jpg.png
    HD.jpg.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 299

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No, you haven't been hacked. Somehow, the Macintosh HD icon was selected and renamed with miscellaneous characters. Sometimes people click it without knowing. Other times, pets or children tab combinations of keys on the keyboard and that is the result. :)

You can simply click once on the hard drive icon to select it, wait a second or two, then click once on those letters and it will change to editable mode. Then simply type in Macintosh HD or whatever your hard drive was titled and press Return.

C

Reaction score
Oh Cory, thanks so much. It worked. I forgot about my cat, I bet she was up here. I was worried sick. haha.

Now if you would help me reset my administration passcode, I would be happy. Do you know how to do that?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK...that can be VERY difficult to reset, due to the nature of Apple's security measures. And, it depends on if the screen shows a padlock with a firmware password, or if you can get to the login screen and simply forget the password.

-This is the iMac, correct?
-It won't let you insert the OS X Install disc without the password?
-This is running OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.x, correct?
-Does it show a padlock on the screen with a place for a password?
-If you can startup from the install disc, you can follow the steps here: Reset your lost Mac OS X password in Snow Leopard

Let us know,

C

Reaction score
Yes Cory it is an iMac.
I can insert the disc but it wants the passcode immediately.
Yes, I am running OX X Snow Leopard 10.6.8
Yes there is a padlock showing on the screen near the password place

Ok Cory, I will try it and let you know, thanks :)

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
You're welcome...glad you resolved it. Thanks for updating your other post regarding this issue.

C

Ask a Question