Hard drive icon

Reaction score
I'm new here and have what is probably a dumb question. Just got a new MacBook Air after using 2009 MacBook Pro. Much is familiar, but I don't see a hard-drive icon on the desk top and can't figure out how to get to stuff like System Folder or Library. I suspect I have missed some changes. Any help? Thanks.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

In the more recent versions of OS X, Apple has chosen to "hide" the hard drive icon on the Desktop. It is easy to make visible again:

-In Finder, click Finder > Preferences... > General
-Check the box next to Show these items on the desktop: Hard disks, and it will show show as it did before

C

Reaction score
Thanks. That was easy. While we're at it, I noticed that a good number of applications didn't migrate nor did any of my non-purchased music (music imported via CD). What are my options here? Thanks again

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

-Which version of OS X on the new and old Mac?
-How did you perform the migration - with Migration Assistant?

Some of the apps may not be supported in the newer version of OS X.

C

Reaction score
Old was 10.11.6 El Capitan New is 10.12.6 Sierra. The applications are secondary. When I need something I can get compatible versions. The music, of which there is a ton, is my main concern. Thanks.

CS

Reaction score
Cory still makes a valuable point. Whenever you upgrade top a newer Mac OS, it is critical to make sure any third party apps you own are compatible with the newer OS. Myself, I have 7 of them which must be compatible, or else I will wait to upgrade:

Office 2016
Onyx
SuperDuper!
1Password
Tech Tool Pro
Quicken 2007
Logitech Control Center (for my Logitech mice)

Ask a Question