Hard Drive Icon Gone

Reaction score
I was in the middle of working on a file when I decided that it would be a good idea to create a copy of a few files associated for a project. I went to the finder, and my hard drive icon was missing from its usual spot in the upper right corner of the monitor.

You'll forgive my ignorance. I looked in the trashcan. Nope. I thought maybe just need to restart. Didn't work. And that's the peak of my diagnostic skills.

Everything operates normally, as nearly as I can tell. I can still command-N to get a new finder window to navigate, but the hard drive icon doesn't show up on the left of the finder windows either. OS X usually is rock solid for me, and I guess it's still running fine... but this worries me.

I'm hopeful that this is something simple to correct, and not a symptom of a bigger problem. Any suggestions?

I'm running 10.4.10 on a dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5. This is the one and only (internal) drive connected to the machine.

Thanks in advance!

Michael

Reaction score
Hi Michael,

Go into Finder, go to Preferences. Under the General tab, you can select to show the hard drive on the desktop, under the Sidebar tab you can select to show the hard drive in the sidebar.

Hope that helps.

Reaction score
Thanks Muirdach,

Both of those options are already checked (although I didn't know to look there until you pointed it out).

I did find that if I search in spotlight for Mac HD, it shows up. Which makes sense since the computer is running. Everything seems to be operating normally.

Whatever happened, I didn't intentionally change any settings. I guess there are much worse problems I could have since everything is still working, and I can still access everything... I'm just used to having the HD there, and I'd like to have it back.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again for the quick response.

Michael

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

it's not anything to worry about !

It is only an 'alias' of sorts...

Sometimes it can get accidentally turned to invisible...

So we need to first "view invisibles"...

This should show the hard disk icon...

Don't mess with anything else though !!!

Then download the demo for SuperGetInfo

Install that, and then drag the HD icon onto SGI and click the invisible box so that it isn't ticked...

Then go back to the invisibles App and 'hide invisibles' then restart...

give that a go.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Seems like it shouldn't take more software to show it than to hide it! :wink:
Nevertheless, this wasn't difficult with the links you provided, and it worked like a charm. Thanks so much for your help!

Michael

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Michael,

in reality there was no software needed to unhide it...but not many people like throwing commands into Terminal...thats why they have a Mac ;-)

Glad its back to normal.

regards

Ric

Ask a Question