hard drive failure code

Reaction score
My second hard drive in my G3 (upgraded to a G4 chip and added a 20GB drive three years ago) died. Using Disk Utility I can see the disk's name and its volume capacity, but I can't mount the disk. The error code I get when I try to either verify or repair is a ". . . failure on exit (-9972)". I can't find what that code means. Also, do you think my data is recoverable? [F.Y.I. local Apple store tried the "freezer" method and Disk Warrior.]
Hazz

Reaction score
Hi Hazz, and a warm welcome :)

I am unsure if your data is recoverable, however CLICK HERE for information on the -9972 code at the Apple site for 10.4.2 and earlier, and CLICK HERE for information on 10.4.3 and later.

If all fails, then you need to try to zero the hard disc (data will not be recoverable doing this though). You do not say what version of OSX you are using (assuming you are using OSX), so please click the one that pertains to your operating system.

ERASE/ZERO DATA on Jaguar systems

ERASE/ZERO DATA on Panther systems

ERASE/ZERO DATA on Tiger systems

Ask a Question