HARD DRIVE AWOL

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I have been experiencing mega issues with my mac and related products and I'm wondering if anyone might have the knowledge and be willing to assist.

First of I am not tech savvy so please assume very little knowledge on my part.

I have been working on a hobby website since 2014, picking it up periodically and then becoming too busy with work so leaving it untouched, sometimes for many months, even years.

I purchased both Adobe Photoshop CS6 and Adobe Dreamweaver CS6 - way back circa 2014 - I appear also to have Adobe Bridge CS6 which presumably came with the package as I've never used it.

The start of my many problems, good time to get a cup of tea ;o) began when I upgraded from High Sierra to Mojave, for some reason I cannot recall, I think some other software wouldn't work in anything less than Mojave so I upgraded.

I had taken the precaution to google whether Dreamweaver CS6 worked okay with OS Mojave and foolishly took the first available answer which unfortunately stated that Dreamweaver CS6 did work with Mojave, I have since come across the many other correct answers stating that the most up to date OS that works with Dreamweaver CS6 is High Sierra.

At this stage I was trying to download a High Sierra Installer as I though I might be able to reboot into this OS.

Please remember earlier warning regarding my level of knowledge.

This is when my personal nightmare began.

Having googled seeking advice as to the best/safest/ possibly only, way of “downgrading” an OS on my Mac was to purchase a hard drive back up and reset my mac to the OS it shipped with – MAVERICKS – and the use Time Machine to restore all of my data.

I purchased a 2TB SSD and connected it via a USB port on my mac.

Time machine appears to be doing what it should and has back ups to 6th December – albeit at that stage I was running Mojave and whilst at that time I could work okay on Dreamweaver, and save my pages, I was no longer able/allowed to upload files to my server.

My plan was to get back to High Sierra and to then transfer files, including Dreamweaver + Photoshop etc., etc., across to my Mac Hard Drive. I tried the few High Sierra downloads I could find but kept getting messages stating due to their already being a newer OS installed they could not instal. I also purchased a flash drive with OS High Sierra INSTALLER on it as I thought this might be usable as a bootable drive.

I then embarked on various failed attempts to restore from Time Machine, I eventually decided that my best option was to revert to factory settings and OS Mavericks.

To try to shorten this already lengthy cry for help I tried every imaginable way possible to get OS High Sierra running the Adobe products.

I tried every “safe mode” I could boot into including internet recovery, I think it was in this recovery one that I discovered that when I tried to install High Sierra I found my only options available where to install it onto the flash-drive - with High Sierra Installer on it – or onto the OS X Base System – or at one stage onto my 1TB SSD.

SSD stated it was being used for Time Machine and I eventually found warnings not to erase the OS X Base System as it was essential for reboots.

I then came across a workaround that suggested I select the OSX Base System hit erase and in the drop down menu rename it Macintosh HD.

Though my memory of the sequence of events that I tried thereafter is very vague due to trying everything I could find I do recall in the latter stages having a white circle with a line across it, like a white no entry sign.

I persevered and kept trying pretty much anything I could find on google.

Where I am now – yesterday I somehow managed to re-installed OS High Sierra which was an incredible relief as I was seriously stressed out.

Issues remaining are, I'm scared to reboot in case I get the no entry sign again or do terminal damage.

I no longer have the original Macintosh HD showing, the one with the grey HD icon.

All I now have on my desktop is the Time Machine back up hard drive alongside the folder I previously called Macintosh HD - it is just a standard blue folder called Macintosh HD which contains all my apps etc.

When I do a “Get Info” on the blue folder named “Macintosh HD” it says its only 165 GB whereas when I look at the Disk Utility “Fusion Drive” and “Macintosh HD they both state 1.11 TB storage capacity.

I have taken screen images in case they might help of the info specifications of -

About this Mac.
Disk Utility/Fusion Drive
Disk Utility/Macintosh HD
Back Up SSD / Time Machine
Inside the “Blue Folder”
Get Info - regarding the blue folder.

Apologies for the length of this but I just felt it might be best to relate the entire sorry saga.

Any assistance and/or advice welcomed and greatly appreciated.

Kind regards, Garry.

Attachments

• About this MAC.png
    About this MAC.png
    86.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Back Up SSD : Time Machine.png
    Back Up SSD : Time Machine.png
    89.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Disk Utility : Fusion Drive.png
    Disk Utility : Fusion Drive.png
    87.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Disk Utility : Macintosh HD.png