hard drive apparently gone on G5

Reaction score
Hey guys
I had a problem with a security update before and it caused my computer to crash, I got the problem solved by doing an archive and install where I restored the system with no ill affects and everything has been working since. Well mac did an automatic update and installed the security update again and my computer crashed again. Well the archive and install was so painless I decided to do it again, only this time when I get the part to select a destination drive there is nothing to select and when I go into first aid to use the disk utility when I try to verify and repair both times it says that the volume check failed. Also when I try the fsck -f that also says that the volume check failed. Can someone please help me, I can't do the restore unless I can click on a drive. Any thoughts
Thanks
Sean

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

can you boot into single user mode and run fsck from there ?

Does it still give errors ?

Do you have any other Macs ? If do you could mount that Mac as a "Target Drive" and see what's up with it that way...

Do you have TechTool Pro ? Disk Warrior ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
I tried to boot up in single user mode and it went there, but when i ran the fsck it came back that the volume check failed.
thanks
sean

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Sean,

just before the text that says "Volume Check Failed" what does it say ?

What is it failing on ?

Certainly sounds like you need a copy of DiskWarrior...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
it says:
invalid extent entry
volume check failed
error: the underlying task reported failure on exit
volume could not be repaired because of an error

thanks
sean

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Sean,

best two scenarios...

Erase & Install will correct...but you will need to recopy/setup all your data from backups...

or

Get a copy of DiskWarrior it should fix this and allow you to backup your data...then do a erase and install.

sorry best i can come up with,

regards

Ric

Ask a Question