Gray Screen of Death (HELP)

Reaction score
Hello there,

Heres what happened; I have a Mac mini (PPC /2*USB version), which was running fine for 2 years with no problems at all. Today, After installing itunes onto it (7.02) and adding a few CDs to my library, in which time I synced up with my Ipod (30GB, video version) the computer started to act weird and stutter and slow down, I had to end programs, and I restarted in hopes that it would go away.

It got worse, the Mac Mini now wont even boot into OS X 10.3.* now, it just sits at the gray screen, with no mouse icon or anything. The CD-ROM doesnt respond anymore (it automatically ejected CD's earlier; was another reason why I restarted), I have tried all the possible boot modes.

Just as a note: At the time of ripping CD's, I was running with around ~ 1.5GB of free space left, so I dont know if that is causing it, but if it is, I would like to know if its a common problem.

-"C" doesnt work because the drive refuses to take any CD/DVD's in

- "T" just leaves me with a blank screen

- "command-option-shift-delete" gives me a screeen with two buttons, and a working mouse icon, but it freezes about 10 seconds in, with no drives shown.

- "command-option-o-f" gets me into open firmware, but freezes when i give it any "load" command, or if I try to "eject cd" (there might be a CD in there).

- "shift" Doesnt work

- "command-v" doesnt work/respond

- "command-c" doesnt work/respond

I have no Idea what to do, I have very important information on it, and I need to be able to take it off. I have a spare G4 1.2ghz with OS X 10.4, I would like to know what my options are. I am in desperate need of assistance.

Thank you,
Adam

Ask a Question