The Dreaded Gray Screen & ? Folder

Reaction score
I'm sure many of you know the gray screen and question mark folder I'm referring to. If I've read correctly, the system can't find the software. I tried all the recommendations on various sites...Checked mouse and keyboard, checked disk utility using the install CD, reset the PRAM when I didn't see the HD. Once I reset the PRAM I saw the HD and there were damaged files that could not be repaired.

Next, I bought a firewire cable to transfer all the data from my iMac to my macbook (no I didn't have it backed up...yes I'm an idiot). When I went to transfer the data I could not find the HD on the damaged iMac. Even when using disk utility it doesn't show up like it did before. One last thing, when I turn on the iMac now it makes a "clicking-like" sound as if something is not quite connected right?? Is it possible that I can't see the HD in disk utility because it came disconnect internally and that is the new sound? I'm just trying to find the HD so I can transfer data and reinstall OS X.

I really appreciate any help y'all can offer. Thanks so much!!!

Trace

Reaction score
No that clicking noise is the failed hard drive franticly scanning the drive looking for anything.

There is now nothing you can do but take it to an Apple Service Centre near you.

Ask a Question