Graphic/Display Issues

Reaction score
Since upgrading to Yosemite my MacBook has had ongoing display and performance issues that I initially thought were a coincidental hardware problem, but now I am not sure.

For example, upon logging in the display flashes large horizontal stripes of white across the screen which become black as soon as the desktop black ground comes up. These disappear as after a few seconds however the same pattern is noticeable in some programs, for example white lines flash across the top half of the screen when scrolling in Chrome. Another issue that appears is that some programs, such as word or excel, have ghosted outlines of windows offset from their actual windows.

The performance of the computer has also slowed, taking a much longer time to open applications than normally and unable to load video within vlc or iTunes. I am not sure if it's related but I realised that the background had black bars across the top and bottom, as if it was being scaled from a different resolution. I was able to fix this by rechoosing the background in system preferences.

As I said I initially thought this was a coincidental hardware issue, however update 10.10.3 temporarily corrected the issue. However yesterday the computer froze and upon hard reset was back to displaying the same issues as before. I have reset the PRAM and SMC and tried to verify/repair the disk in recovery mode without finding anything.

I am fairly light weight on macs and their internal workings, so any help or pointing in the right direction would be appreciated.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which model MacBook?
-This issue only started after upgrading to Yosemite, correct?
-If it is an older model, try navigating to Apple > System Preferences... > Accessibility > Display and check the box next to Reduce Transparency.
-Do you have an external monitor that you can connect and test with?

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory - thanks for your response.

- The computer is a MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012).
- The issue only started after upgrading. It did temporarily resolve after updating to 10.10.3, however it has since restarted.
- Reduce transparency is already checked.
- Unfortunately I don't have an external monitor to test this on.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

It would be easier to diagnose with an external monitor. If the issue was present on it as well, then it would probably be a failing logic board/graphics chip. If it wasn't, then the MBP screen would be the issue.

I think it could be a coincidence that the issue started when you performed the OS upgrade to Yosemite. Does the MBP ever just power off? If so, that could be a thermal issue, like the cooling fans are clogged.

You could try downloading and applying the OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 Combo Update to see if that resolves it:

OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 Combo Update

If that doesn't resolve it, you may need to have the hardware fully tested at an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Center.

C

Reaction score
The update that you linked to didn't resolve the issue. Is that the same one that I would have installed through the App Store update?

Unfortunately I don't have access to an external monitor and I'm not sure I could get access to one at the moment.

I don't recall it ever just shutting off. I did think it was coincidence with the OS upgrade, however it did rectify and work correctly for a month after the 10.10.3 update. It literally started working correctly on the first boot update after the update and started with the issues again after freezing.

One thing that is interesting is that the graphical issue on scrolling in chrome is not present in Safari.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hmmm...

Is Chrome up to date? Strange that it doesn't affect Safari.

-What version of Microsoft Office? Is it up to date?
-What is listed in System Preferences... > Users & Groups > your login > Login Items?
-Do you have Adobe Flash and/or Java installed and are they up to date?
-How much free HD space do you have?
-Do you have any third-party utilities such as MacKeeper installed?

C

Reaction score
- Its office 2011 and its up to date.
- Login items are iTuneshelper, itunes, chrome and speechsynthserver. (Not sure what that last one is).
- I have updated both flash and Java with no change.
- the hard drive has about 90GB free.
- I don't use anything like mac keeper. I did have f.lux installed, I removed that to see if it was causing an issue but it hasn't resolved the issue. I do have Avast anti virus installed.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Thanks for the additional information.

The next thing to try would be to create an additional account on the Mac and login to it to see if the issue is replicated. If not, then it may just be a preference file that is corrupted. If it does happen, then it is an OS or hardware issue.

C

Ask a Question