Google mail

Reaction score
I use gmail but keep getting messages to restate password. Recently it says I must log into google to do this. Why can’t I have gmail without google account. Mibatch

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Gmail is part of a Google account, as is Google Drive and YouTube.

Are you using Gmail in the Mail app or within a browser like Safari or Google Chrome?

C

Reaction score
Hello,

Gmail is part of a Google account, as is Google Drive and YouTube.

Are you using Gmail in the Mail app or within a browser like Safari or Google Chrome?

C
hi thanks for interest. using mail ap which then looks for site on safari. it also happens if I paste site to safari search. Mibatch

Reaction score
thank you. When I follow up I still get the message saying I must sign into my google account for mail to work. Mibatch

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Correct...I wanted to see if your Gmail account username and password are working. Go ahead and sign in with your account there to make sure.

C

Reaction score
Correct...I wanted to see if your Gmail account username and password are working. Go ahead and sign in with your account there to make sure.

C
Hi Cory, yes following that link opened up google mail, but only shows a few emails and apparently only one of my 2 accounts. When I try and use the apple mail (as I have for many years) it asks for the password and then says it must be verified in Safari but then says it can't verify and to try later. Presumably this is all because I upgraded to Catalina? Sorry to be a nuisance but I am concerned that my gmail messages are not available. Regards mibatch

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

When you login via a web browser to Gmail, it will only show that account. If you have multiple Gmail accounts, you would need to login to them separately.

If you have a current Time Machine or other backup of your data, you could always delete the Gmail account giving you trouble from Internet Accounts in System Preferences, then re-add it.

C

Reaction score
okay Cory, I have downloaded the Google ap on my pad and phone and that takes me to a new mail program which as you say shows my 2 gmail accounts. This does not help too much as I have used Apple mail for many years and a lot of old mails there for ref etc. It is obviously more convenient to have the one programme only. Why am I told that I must use Safari for gmail on both OS & IOS.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I have no idea...that isn't something I have ever seen.

You can setup Gmail in the Apple Mail app, or other email applications on both macOS and iOS.

-At what point does it prompt/open Safari when accessing Gmail? Are you clicking a link in an email by chance?
-Can you upload some screenshots or photos of what is happening?
-Do you have any other email accounts that are working normally in the Mail app?

C

Reaction score
Thank you. I have attached a screenshot of my MacBook message. This did not happen prior to Catalina.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-11-10 at 11.43.59.png
    Screenshot 2019-11-10 at 11.43.59.png
    433 KB · Views: 146

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

I did a little research, and it seems to be fairly common issue. It happened to a lot of folks back with 10.14.4 Mojave. Upgrading to 10.14.6 solved the issue for them. I wonder if the same thing is happening here - make sure you have no Software Updates to apply. The latest Catalina version is 10.15.1 and there was a security update released last week. Some folks were running an older version of Safari and the issue was corrected with Safari 13.0.1 or later.

Other folks had to resort to what I mentioned previously - deleting the account from the Internet Accounts preference pane altogether, and then re-adding it. You could try that. Of course, it is best to have a current Tme Machine of other backup of you data.

Maybe some of that will help,

C

Ask a Question