Glitched Menu Bar - Yosemite

Reaction score
Hi All,

Recently upgraded to Yosemite from Mavericks and I've found the menu bar to be extremely glitchy.

• The clock is frozen and does not refresh unless I select something on the menubar (i.e., change the volume).
  • In dark mode, many icons like the battery, volume and wifi icons are grey and difficult to see.
  • The first time I select a menu icon (after a reboot) is highlighted in blue and remains that way if I click away from the menu bar.

When I was using Mavericks, I installed the Obsidian menu bar, and the associated whiteUIserver.menu file. I have removed these elements (according to the instructions provided on the website for this addon), so maybe some vestigial element remains which is conflicting with the standard menu settings. When I first loaded up Yosemite there were actually two overlapping menu bars, but removing these addons (and restarting) resolved this issue.

Any hints or clues to resolve this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It does sound like there may be remnants of Obsidian in your system.

-Make sure you ran the Restore Default Menu Bar script.
-Make sure you deleted both WhiteUIServer.menu files - check for the one in  > System Preferences > Users & Groups > your user > Login Items.
-Have you tried creating another account on your Mac to see if the issue is with the OS or your user?

Let us know if you performed those steps as outlined on their site.

C

Ask a Question