Garageband 3, multiple microphones?

Reaction score
Hi guys, my first post, and a recent Mac convert. I'm making a podcast radio show with a friend and we've already made big improvements from the pilot episode to our first hosted show (on collider.com). In order to get two microphones to work, I created an aggregate device which Garageband recognized quite readily, and even automatically put one of us on the left channel and the other on the right.

Now, though, we want to add interviews to to the show. This is where the problem comes in. I love that Garageband integrates automatically with iChat so that I can record iChat interview directly into a GB track. However, iChat doesn't recognize my aggregate device, so I can't get both of the hosts in on the interview. The workaround for this was to put my co-host on another computer in the house and have him connect to the iChat conference, but the audio quality isn't as good.
**Any way to get iChat to work with two USB mics?

The other situation that arrises with interviews is that the guest will come into the studio (my bedroom) to record the interview (they don't have ichat, etc). Problem is, though I can created an aggregate device with three USB mics, Garageband won't recognize more than 2.
**Any way to get Garageband to recognize 3 or more USB mics?

If it matters, I'm running a G5 single-core system with a gig of RAM, using the Logitech 250 USB headsets as microphones and OSX 10.4

Thanks in advance for reading and contemplating my problem. Thanks even more if you have a solution! If you're an Apple software developer, maybe fix these on iLife '07? Garageband is great for podcasts, but I get the impression that it was sort of an afterthought...

Best,
Siv

Reaction score
Is there a device anyone is aware of that can take multiple microphones (USB or standard) and mix them into a single single? Or better yet, automatically convert them to seperate tracks in GarageBand? I'm on a budget at the moment, otherwise I'd build a studio :)

Thanks!

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome,

I can't think of a cheap way of doing what you want...

I have one of the Blue Snowball Mics

You could use this when interviewing and it would record bothe interviewer and iinterviewee ...

This would be one track, but the quality would be very good.

I think what you are really after is one of these.

...but their not cheap !

regards

Ric

Ask a Question