Garageband Problem

Reaction score
As a member of a band, I usually record performances with a Tascam DR-05 in mp3 format. I then later download it into iTunes, and then load it into Garageband for editing. Simple, done it dozens of times. I tried to do it with the New Year's Eve show and encountered a problem. After dragging and dropping the file from the media list onto a GB track after the info box that says 'converting' is finished, another box drops down and says, xxxx.mp3.aif is empty. The file plays in iTunes. I tried it many times. I also deleted it from iTunes and loaded it again. I also tried to drag and drop from the DR-05 box instead of iTunes. Same result every time. The only thing that I can think of that is different on this computer from the last time, is it now has a updated version of Tech Tool Pro 9 on it. I don't know why that would change anything. I am running out of ideas for things to try. Help! OSX 10.8.5, iTunes 12.4.3.1, Garageband 6.0.5
Thanks in advance
Ray

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I'm curious about the double extension of the file ... xxxx.mp3.aif. It should be mp3 unless iTunes is converting it to aif but even still, there wouldn't be a double extension ... can you audition the file from the GarageBand Media List alone?

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I have seen that all of the raw recordings that remain in iTunes are xxxx.mp3.mp3. The edited individual songs that have been shared with iTunes are xxxx.m4a. All of the raw recordings that are still in iTunes have the double extension. The recording in question can be listened to on iTunes, as well as on the DR-03. It is my belief that when the iTunes file is loaded into GB, that the conversion to .aif takes place, as I was under the assumption that GB has to have it in the .aif format. I could be wrong about that too.
Thanks
Ray

Last edited:

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Make sure that mp3 is in lowercase as if it is in capital letters GarageBand won't import the file.

GarageBand also lacks the ability to work with 48 kHz or greater sample-rate audio so it only supports mp3 audio files which have a sample rate of 44.1 kilohertz (kHz) and a bit depth of 16 bits.

Another thing may be the length of the file?

I have GarageBand 6.0.5 & it seems to only export as .aac & mp3. I don't use GB I use Logic Pro 9 fwiw.

Reaction score
I am beginning to suspect that the length of this file may have something to do with this problem. This file is 4 hours and 14 minutes long. The longest previous recording was 3 hours and 21 minutes. I suspect that I may have found the limit. I am gonna make a short experimental recording and see if has the same issue.

Reaction score
With a little experimenting, I believe that I have found the answer to this problem. Today I made a short experimental recording with the DR-05. Loaded onto iTunes. Opened up GB and dragged the file onto a track and it loaded perfectly. While in the past I have gotten away with a 3 hour and 21 minute mp3 file, I believe that the 4 hour and 14 minute file was too much for it. Live and learn I guess.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
glad it's sorted, i have a 5hr mp3 file that GarageBand was able to import so it's just one of those unexplained computer tales.

Reaction score
I thought that I would share what I have learned from this incident. The reason that my computer wouldn't import the file was it's length. I did get it to load that file. I realized that there is an option within iTunes to change the file to AAC. I did that and then the file loaded with no issues. So, going forward, I will refrain from making recordings that are so long. While other computers may handle it just fine, my MacBook Pro doesn't like it. Another lesson learned.
Ray

Ask a Question