Garageband Upgrade?

Reaction score
I would like to know what you people think of the new GarageBand. I have been using 6.0.5 for a long time and after upgrading my OS from Mountain Lion to Sierra I see that GarageBand 10.2 is available to me. I have always been happy with the old GB, but I was content with Mountain Lion too, until I started having issues that would only be solved with an upgrade. What is your opinion of the new GB? Like it? Hate it? Should I stick with what I have?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

I actually really like the current GarageBand. It has come a long way from its beginning days. Apple continually adds new features drawn from Logic Pro.

I believe that you can still run GarageBand 6 if you install GarageBand 10...although I haven't tried that under Sierra, as I don't have GB 6 still installed. However, if you convert one of your old session to 10, 6 will not be able to open it in 6 any longer.

-What kind of projects are you creating?
-Do you use any effects, loops, etc.?
-Do you have a backup of your current GarageBand projects?

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory, thanks for the reply. Years ago when I first started using GarageBand , it was to digitize albums and add to iTunes for my music collection. For the last seven years I have been in a band and record the gigs on a Tascam dr-05 recorder and put that into iTunes. From there I import it into GarageBand and divide it up into individual tracks with some minor editing, and then put it back on iTunes as songs. I sometimes record practices as a multitrack using a usb interface. I don't often use loops, but have played around with them some. Being a busy person, I don't have time to play with GarageBand as often as I want to. And yes, I have everything backed up.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

If you are using GarageBand mainly for editing audio files, then you may like some of the new features. Since Apple has recently made GarageBand 10 free for all users, there wouldn't be any harm in downloading it and trying it out. Like I stated previously, your older GarageBand 6.0.5 version will still work alongside the new version, as long as it is working in Sierra currently. You may want to move it into a folder in the Applications folder, just in case the new version "may" replace it.

You should be good to go since you have a backup - is it a full Time Machine backup of your entire HD, or just your audio files?

C

Reaction score
Ok, I did the GarageBand update, after waiting for my satellite bandwidth to renew. It looks somewhat different, has a lot of new features. But, I've encountered a problem. We played a gig Saturday night. I recorded it on my Tascam DR-05. Sunday I transfer the 2 files onto my MacBook Pro into iTunes. I then transfer the 2 files into GB using it's media browser. I then convert each of the files into individual tracks, 38 songs, 38 tracks. So far nothing radically different. After sharing the first 3 tracks with iTunes I notice that the time on the tracks are all as long as the longest one, about 8 minutes. Even the track that is only 3 minutes long is 8 minutes long, with 5 minutes of dead space after the song quits playing. At that time I decided to stop until I can correct the problem. I've got to be doing something wrong, but I don't know what it is yet. Maybe some setting somewhere. Please help me figure this out. Thanks in advance. GarageBand 10.2.0, iTunes, 12.6.1.26 OS X 10.12.5

Reaction score
Ok guys, I think I figured out the problem. In the 'share' drop down box there is a box that needs to be checked that was not there on the old GB. It says, 'export cycle area only, or length of selected regions'. That box needs to checked. I wish that there was a good comprehensive guide that I could study to learn all these things, instead of doing it by the 'poke and hope' method. This new GB does a lot of things......

Ask a Question