G5 in office PBG4 on the road

Reaction score
Virgin user on mac-help.
I was a PC user .... yawn yawn.. same old...
Anyway looking for help or comments on.
I use G5 in my office, collect daily email with attachments etc. Say, once a week I travel with my Powerbook G4. I use fire wire target disk mode to transfer documents etc.
BUT
I use mail NOT entourage. A lot of mails have information that I need not including attachments. Is there anyway of transfering the email over. Apart from resending the mail and collecting via other email address.

My dreamworld is when both computers have exactly the same emails in my inbox.
My G5 does not support bluetooth or airport (but she still is a beauty) DCore 2.3hz OSX 10.4.8

ps. I have been using Virtual PC7 to run Autocad. I have not tried bootcamp.. any comments on this.
Many thanks to all takeing the time to read and reply.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome,

One easy way of doing this...

Go to Mail's preferences-->Accounts

Then select your account click on the Advanced button...

If you untick the "Remove copy from Server after retrieving a message" on the G5... but leave it on on your laptop...then when your G5 gets the email it leaves the messages on the mail server...then just set up the laptop to remove them.

Then both Macs can download your email...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks Ric,

Thats what I am doing.

Its a real problem with the 900+ email I already have on my computer which are already erased from the server.

RikG5

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

I see...

two options I can think of, option 1 use Carbon Copy Cloner or similar to clone your G5 drive onto your laptop then you will have an exact copy.

Or option 2 copy all the files from this folder across to the corresponding folder on your Laptop...

Users-->yourUserName-->Library-->Mail

This will overwrite all the Mail on the laptop with the mail on the G5.

regards

Ric

Ask a Question