G4 Won't power up

Reaction score
Can anybody help?

My girlfriends MAC G4 (silver desktop) won't switch on from cold. It tries to briefly when we press the switch but immediately shuts down before booting. This has started happening since we have been switching it off at the mains socket.

I'm presuming it usually has a constant feed like a PC and kicks 5v or so when the on button is pressed? Maybe there is a failt here? I'm a bit lost when it comes to Mac bits. It just gave a really long single beep when we tried it last. Do they use beep codes?

Could the internal battery need replacing?

Would appreciate some guidance.

Thankyou.

Reaction score
Hi Snoo,

When you say switching it off at the mains socket do you mean that you shut your computer down this way, or you shut your computer down from within the OS, and once it is shut down, you then turn off the socket?

If you are turning it off via the socket only, then you are damaging your computer - computers should never be turned off in this manner!

The RAM or hard drive are usually most at risk by closing down in this way. If your Mac is having issues closing down within the OS, then press the start button for 20 seconds and your Mac will automatically shut down - then you can use the wall socket.

Its not a good idea to shut off via the wall socket either way though, because of sudden surges when power is turned on again. Do you have a surge protector?

You could try and reset the NVRAM and PRAM by following the article here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238

Also, have you tried booting in safe mode - if so, what happens?

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107393

This also may be of help, about when your Mac won't start:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106464

(The above inks are for OSX, you don't mention what version you are using.)

Here also is information on beep codes:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58183

Reaction score
Hi Snoo,

When you say switching it off at the mains socket do you mean that you shut your computer down this way, or you shut your computer down from within the OS, and once it is shut down, you then turn off the socket?

>

Hi Kyomii, No the Mac is shut down in the proper manner from the OS. The OS being OSX btw! What I meant was that overnight we have just started turning everything off at the mains socket. The Mac has since developed a problem that when you then switch on the mains and then power up the mac next day, it works for a few minutes and then just shuts itself straight down, like the power has been cut. If the mains is constantly left on, the mac seems happy enough. I know there is a simple solution to stop this (don't ever turn the mains off!) but there is obviously something up that needs sorting before it gets worse. There is a proper surge protector on the mains block we are using. It's almost like the Mac is needing a constant charge for something and it's running flat over night causing some kind of power interupt the next day. But this doesn't quite figure too me..

Reaction score
Have you tried resetting the NVRAM and PRAM etc as suggested? This can sometimes sort power issues out.

Reaction score
Have you tried resetting the NVRAM and PRAM etc as suggested? This can sometimes sort power issues out.

I tried that yesterday but forgot to switch everything down over night. So I'll try again and keep you posted!

Reaction score
Well. Just tried again today after the power has been turned off overnight and the problem is back...

Anymore for anymore? :(

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

does the Mac exhibit any other strange behaviour ?

It may well be the battery...

Have a look under the Apple Menu...About this Mac and let us know the MOdel number, and we'll see what type of battery you may need.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

does the Mac exhibit any other strange behaviour ?

It may well be the battery...

Have a look under the Apple Menu...About this Mac and let us know the MOdel number, and we'll see what type of battery you may need.

regards

Ric

Hi there.
It's a 733Mhz PowerPC G4

Cheers,

Ask a Question