Frozen HD transfer

Reaction score
Hey guys,

wondering if you could help with a little problem I'm having.
So the other day I was playing BF 2142, and my computer froze. This had happened before, usually just turning off and then back on fixes the problem.
Unfortunately, upon restarting, it would stay at the grey loading screen, a bar would appear, load a while, and then turn off.

After doing some googling on another computer I found this:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=364090

He seemed to have had the same problems, but the steps only produced the same results until the successful disk repair. Not knowing what to do, and running off the snow leopard install disk, I opened disk utility, and told it to copy my HD onto an external one, it the hopes I could then reformat it.

HOWEVER, I was dumb and plugged the external HD through my keyboard.
It continues to increase the estimated time for completion, and after 2 days, it says it will take 9 days and 7 hours. -__-"

The spinning wheel of death won't let me cancel the transfer, and there doesn't seem to be any kind of force quit option on the install disk.

Is there anything I can do without just unplugging it? Or would unplugging it be harmless?

Thanks alot,

Oscar

Reaction score
Some specs:
2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo
1GB of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
320GB HD

OS 10.6.5 (I THINK, as mentioned the computer is frozen, so I can't check, but I'm pretty sure it's that.)

The HD I'm transferring to is a 1TB Western Digital My Book for Mac (USB 2.0)

Reaction score
Try pressing the "Control"- "Eject" keys and selecting the "Shut Down" button. If this doesn't work, press the power button to shut off your Mac. Have you have backed up all your files? If so, why not do an erase and install of the operating system?

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I was trying to backup the files when it froze.
I ended up just turning the comp off by holding the button, but the back up still isn't working. Looks like I'm gonna have to admit defeat and take this one in for repair. XD

Thanks a lot for the reply though, I appreciate it. :)

Reaction score
To name a few, have you tried zapping the PRAM, unplugging the Mac for five to ten minutes, then tying to boot up, swapping out the RAM, booting up in Safe Mode, and using Disk Utility again or Disk Warrior to repair the drive?

Ask a Question