Old Mac frozen

Reaction score
Hi:

I have an older G5, running OS 10.6. I keep there because I use it for Final Cut Pro 6. This version allows me to edit old BetaCam footage that the new versions don't support. Today, it froze while rending a file in FCP, and I had to restart it. But restart it isnt working. It boots right up as normal, no error messages, but it wont respond to the mouse or keyboard commands. I tried changing the mouse to no effect. I did plug in a portable dribe into the usb port, and it recognized it, but still won't do anything. Can't get the DVD drive to open either to reboot off the install disc. Help?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It sounds as if Mac OS X became corrupted when the G5 froze and your forced the power off. We'll see if we can get things fixed.

-How much free space is left on the startup drive?
-Is it a Power Mac G5 or an iMac G5?
-Is there more than one hard drive installed in the G5?
-You can press the power button and immediately hold the mouse button down for the disc tray to open.
-Have you tried this: How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac

You could also try to reset the PMU, but we need to know which exact model the G5 is.

C

Ask a Question