Freeze, then unformatted disk. Out of the blue.

Reaction score
So I was just chillin, watching a youtube video and out of the blue my whole system freezes. After I reboot I get the flashing question mark. Even the recovery partition is gone.
I start online eecovery and disk urility says my disk is unformatted.

Haven't installed any new software, connected any new hardware or changed any settings in at least a month. I wasn't running bootcamp, didn't have any out of the ordinary software installed.

So my question is: is rhere any way to restote the partition table? Cause I doubt all the data actually got deleted.
And also why the hell would something like this happen? I thought Windows PCs were supposed to be the wonky ones, but in 15 years of using all kinds of different Win machines this never happened to me, I never lost data. Then this happens on my 1st Mac
frown.gif

Using a MBA mid 2012 running 10.8.4. And before you suggest taking it to an Apple store - that's not an option or I would have done it. The closest one is 700 miles away and 3 countries over.

Reaction score
Firstly Apple don't make the components like the hard drive, they are just standard computer disk drives. So PC or Mac you have the same chance of a drive failing.

No, there is no way to recover the partition information.

I'd be surprised if there isn't an ApppleCare Service Centre closer than that.

Ask a Question