For some reason my apps seem to be running out of memory recently.

Reaction score
having problems recently with some apps that I have been using since I got my new 14" M1 iMac in feb this year...

i have attached 2 ssds and use the 500gig SSD as Photoshop temp memory.

(went on the Topaz web site with the problem and some 'genius' said just put more memory in the machine.."You can tell a windows user, but you cant tell em much")

I have been deleting app I never use like garage bands etc. but cant seem to be able to delete 'Apple Stock" or "Apple TV" with I never use...

any clues.

Regards, Sandy

Attachments

• gigapixle running out of memory.jpg
    gigapixle running out of memory.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-02 at 05.38.14am.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-11-02 at 05.38.14am.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 11
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-02 at 08.33.29am.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-11-02 at 08.33.29am.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 11

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

That error isn't that your Mac is running out of storage...it is running out of application memory in RAM. However, if you have a low amount of free space on your drive and use a lot of high-end image/video/audio applications that use swap space, then that could trigger that alert. Deleting the Stocks and TV applications won't affect this issue, as they only total a little over 80 MB in size. ;)
  • How much free space is left on the iMac's internal storage?
  • It is recommended to only run resource-hungry applications like Photoshop by themselves, without any others running.
  • It is crazy that Topaz Gigapixel AI is taking 28 GB of application memory! Sounds like it has a memory leak and may need an update? Or, are you processing multiple extremely large graphics files? Is it running as a standalone application or as a plug-in in Photoshop?
  • Have you double-checked your swap settings in Photoshop?
C

Reaction score
Hello,

That error isn't that your Mac is running out of storage...it is running out of application memory in RAM. However, if you have a low amount of free space on your drive and use a lot of high-end image/video/audio applications that use swap space, then that could trigger that alert. Deleting the Stocks and TV applications won't affect this issue, as they only total a little over 80 MB in size. ;)
  • How much free space is left on the iMac's internal storage?
  • It is recommended to only run resource-hungry applications like Photoshop by themselves, without any others running.
  • It is crazy that Topaz Gigapixel Ai is taking 28 GB of application memory! Sounds like it has a memory leak and may need an update? Or, are you processing multiple extremely large graphics files? Is it running as a standalone application or as a plug-in in Photoshop?
  • Have you double-checked your swap settings in Photoshop?
C
Hi Cory, thanks for the reply.

i have plenty of Photoshop scratch disk space..

yes I was totally surprised by the size of the Gigapixel mem usage, and I had run in on my 8Gig M1 hundreds of times on even bigger files with no problems. I put this message on the Topaz page and have not received on reply so far., never run into it before...

So it seems it all remains a mystery...

Regards, Sandy

Screen Shot 2022-11-12 at 06.37.41am.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-11-12 at 06.16.53am.jpg

Reaction score
Certain Apple apps are simply "baked in" and you can't remove them traditionally. However, you can "hide" them to keep your workspace clean. Just open Finder, click Applications, then drag the Apple TV or Stocks app to your desktop. After that, select the app and press Command+I and in the resulting dialog box, select the 'hide' checkbox.

For instance, you could manually perform operations via Terminal to clean up your Mac, or if that's a bit too technical, you can use CleanMyMac. This tool has saved me a couple of times when my disk was nearly full. Both methods of cleaning the computer are described in this article https://setapp.com/how-to/reduce-memory-usage-on-mac.

Reaction score
wow. thank you. great info. greatly appreciated.

great link also. as I don't often have many apps open, but occasionally when my mac slows to a snail's pace, I will open 'activity monitor' nd am always stunned at the number of invisible things running in the background, that I have no clue as to why they are running or who makes them.

best regards, Sandy.

Ask a Question