Flickering dots

ADB2

Reaction score
Hi there --

As my Mac Pro woke up from sleep this morning, it had white/black (depending on the background color) flickering pixel-size dots on the two monitors I use. Most of the dots are clustered by 4, drawing a square or other forms.

It's a 2 x 2,66 Dual-Core Xeon (2006 I think), 14 Gig on 10.6.8.

Graphic card is ATI Radeon HD 5770, where I have plugged a Samsung (12") monitor with a VGA/Mini-DVI adapter, and a (2007) 21" Apple Cinema Display (DVI).

I don't think it's the cable/adapter, since it started to occur simultaneously on both.
Another thing is that I don't have the flickering dots if I boot in safe mode.
Last, it seems that the more video there is (flash, web pages, FCP, etc.), or the more I'm moving finder windows around, the more dots I get.

Any idea?

TIA ! (I need some graphic/video work done and it's a hassle... :eek:\).

Ad

Advertisements

Kaveman

Reaction score
Another thing is that I don't have the flickering dots if I boot in safe mode.
We its not hardware then.

I'd guess a preference file, or corrupted driver.

Always good to have a unused Admin Account that you can log into to sort these sorts of problems.

ADB2

Reaction score
We its not hardware then.
I'd guess a preference file, or corrupted driver.
Always good to have a unused Admin Account that you can log into to sort these sorts of problems.
Thanks for your input. Just curious: what can I do with an(other) unused Admin account that I can't do with my regular one? Can I still create it now, or does it have to have been created beforeward? Thanks.

Kaveman

Reaction score
So you have an unused Admin Account? I thought because you were using "Safe" mode you didn't have a clean Admin account.

Thats good, log into that and see if the problem is there too?

ADB2

Reaction score
So you have an unused Admin Account? I thought because you were using "Safe" mode you didn't have a clean Admin account.
Thats good, log into that and see if the problem is there too?
No, I don't. Should I create one, or is it too late? Wouldn't it use the same drivers or pref files anyway? TIA.

Kaveman

Reaction score
No it's too late the problem would travel with to the new account.

Ad

Advertisements

ADB2

Reaction score
Ah, ok ; thanks. I'll keep the tip in mind for next time.

Ask a Question