Why is my screen flickering?

SwampWitch

Reaction score
It's been flickering for weeks, but I thought it was the AC adaptor, so I'd just unplug the cord and it worked fine on the battery.

But now it's flickering with the battery! Macs seem almost self-healing, is there something I can "reset"... anything I can try short of taking it into the shop?

Thanks in advance!

MacBook OSX
Version 10.4.9

Reaction score
Hi Swampwitch,

You could try going to display preferences and get it to redetect displays and check the resolution along with the refresh rate (although I can't alter the refresh rate on mine)

If it is a CRT monitor, then proximity to electronic devices, such as other monitors, speakers, televisions, and refrigerators can cause flickers.

Make sure your monitor is not sitting too close to or sharing a socket with these devices. Magnets, such as the magnet at the base of a speaker cone can also affect CRT monitors.

Standard computer speakers are shielded to prevent damage to monitors etc, but larger stereo component speakers are not. If a large speaker is close to a monitor, it increases the possibility of display impairment and also turn off any flourescent lights near your computer.

If it is a TFT and flickering, the chances are it is on its way out or damaged. You would be wise to get it looked at if resetting the monitor does not work.

EDIT: Apologies, I have just noticed you have a Macbook (I must open my eyes more when reading! )

If the redetect does not work, then take it in to get it looked at - if it is under warranty I would contact Apple now.

SwampWitch

Reaction score
I took it to the shop and the magsafe adapter was split, and I got a new one. The flickering continued, though, and it looks like I need a new inverter. I was told they have seen this with a couple of other MacBooks.

The inverter has been ordered and all is free of charge because I've had my MacBook just under a year. :)

Thanks for your help.

Ask a Question