flashing file folder with ? on s/u

Reaction score
hello. I have been reading your helpful hints about my problem, but I have not been successful in repairing it. The thread between Ric and Lucy seemed quite close, but I was not successful with the tips.
I am running os X on my MacBook. I think it is the original 1.0 that came with the computer. When it boots, I get the dreaded flashing ? folder. When I boot from the original CD, it opens an installation option screen. But when I must choose the destination drive, there is no hard drive. Tomorrow I will have access to a Disk Warrior CD to boot. Is there anything that I can do in the meantime?
Thanks for providing this forum and for your expertise.

Reaction score
after you boot from the cd-r disk, look in the menus that are available; there should be one for Disk Utility (I can't remember where it's located in that version); if you can see the drive in the left options, see if mount/unmount is available in the menus, and then try to mount it. If it mounts there, you might be able to run some repairs with Disk Utility.

Reaction score
Hi. Thanks for your support. I can open disk utilities, but the only visable options on the left bar are the DVD drive and the Install Disk that is in it. Mount and unmount are not visable options.

Ask a Question