flash player questions

Reaction score
mac os x
version 10.4.10
2 GHz intel core 2 duo

do i need to uninstall my flash player 7 before i could install flash player 9? if so, how? i could play now my .swf files on my imac but i realized that some objects in my animation wouldn't show up. is this because i have flash player 7 and my .swf file is flash player 8? would it help if i install flash player 9?

another question is that, i tried to download the flash player 9, it said download was successful but it doesn't work. i'm afraid that if i uninstall my flash player 7 now, and flash player 9 is not working, i would end up not seeing any flash animations at all.

any help is greatly appreciated. thank you in advance.

Reaction score
Hello Spaghetti, out of curiosity, how can you tell if Flash Player 9 isn't working if it hasn't been installed?

Reaction score
i tried to install the flash player 9, i got a message it has been successfully installed. however, i don't see the flash player 9 icon, all i see is a flash icon that looks like a hard drive.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
i tried to install the flash player 9, i got a message it has been successfully installed. however, i don't see the flash player 9 icon, all i see is a flash icon that looks like a hard drive.

http://macgroup.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/148101437/m/3591052251

When you download an app from a website it usually comes to you boxed up in a container called .dmg. When you double-click on this .dmg, a disc image volume (you refer to it as looking like a hard drive icon, which is correct) appears on your Desktop. Further clicking will launch the contents of the disc image volume which will reveal the app and associated files that you want to install. Just read any 'Read Me's', then drag the app to your Application folder. Finally you can eject the disc image volume and delete the .dmg file if you so desire (I usually file them away).

Sometimes the disc image volume will self-launch, sometimes it won't. Other times the download will arrive as a .sit file which is a zipped file and requires Stuffit Expander to open.

Flash Player 9 Emerging Issues ...

Reaction score
hello spawn...you know what, i was so happy i could finally play my .swf but for some reason i don't know, i noticed that some objects of my animation wouldn't show up. when i checked my flash player version, it is version 7. so i was wondering if i install version 9, i could see everything in my animation.

i tried to download again the version 9 following your instruction, but i was not successful. when i clicked on the .dmg, i saw a install flash icon, then double clicking on it, i see an installation window. after following all the instructions there, i saw a successful installation message.

but then, nothing happens after that. my flash player version is not updated. i don't see an icon of the the latest version of flash.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Hi spaghetti,

If you navigate to your Applications folder (command+A) and launch the Flash Player and go to the menu and select Flash Player (It'll be the first choice in the menu after the blue Apple logo) and then select About Flash Player (or whatever it's called) from the menu ... what version does it say?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Try deleting that version by dragging it to the Trash or using a 3rd Party app like AppZapper to get rid of every little bit of the app that's lurking on your hard drive, then go ahead and install the latest version.

AppZapper

AppZapper allows you to confidently uninstall virtually any application as easily as it was installed -- just drag and drop. Drag one or more unwanted apps onto AppZapper and watch as it finds all the extra files and lets you delete them with a single click. A slick safety system remembers which apps you want to keep safe, and the log tracks all the files you've zapped. Put simply, AppZapper is the uninstaller Apple forgot.

Reaction score
i just read that the flash player version 7 on my imac is powerpc application. i'm wondering if this could be another factor why some objects in my animation doesn't show up. maybe compatibility issue because my imac is intel based.

Reaction score
thanks for all response walrus and spawn. i appreciate it. i would re-try to to install flash version 9 again and see if it works this time. i tried to delete the flash version 7 but somehow the icon still stays in the applications folder.

Reaction score
i just read that the flash player version 7 on my imac is powerpc application. i'm wondering if this could be another factor why some objects in my animation doesn't show up. maybe compatibility issue because my imac is intel based.
You're not wondering in vain. You need to install the Universal Binary version. Good catch!

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Do you have full administrative privileges spaghetti? Did you download AppZapper? All you need to do is launch AppZapper and drag the Flash 7 app over AppZappers icon to remove it from your Mac ...

Ask a Question