flash drive eject problem

Reaction score
Hey,

I've had this problem a few times since I got my Mac. When I'm using a flash drive and what to eject it, I just drag the icon to the trash bin (or any other of the options) and a window pops up telling me that " the disk is in use and could not be ejected... try quitting applications and try again." Unfortunately, I've tried quitting all the applications and the window continues to show. Is there an application that I cannot find that is in use when using Word (which is all I'm using when I have the flash drive in) for new docs or old ones already stored on the disk?

...and just to note, this problem happens maybe every third time I use the drive.

Thank you

Ryan

Reaction score
The message "the disk is in use" can be associated with files tied to other applications (such as Word) or even with copying files. For example, if you're copying a lot of files (large documents), it might take the drive some time to actually finish the copying process. In those instances, you may get that message. I know from experience that Microsoft applications are notorious for keeping a flash drive busy. I don't know why. I often have to quit those applications and wait a few minutes before I can safely eject the drive.

Also keep in mind that if you copy a section of a document from Word or any other application, the clipboard could keep your flash drive busy.

Ask a Question