Firmware lock and find my mac

Reaction score
I am researching the firmware lock feature on imacs and macbooks, and I have a quick question that I needed clarified. If I have an iMac or macbook that has a firmware password, and is locked via find my mac if I reprogram the efi chip on the motherboard to clear the firmware password will that also get rid of pin required by find my mac? Also, I am correct in assuming that because of a firmware I couldn't boot into a linux distro, because it only allows the boot of the startup partition?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Because of Apple's stringent security, I wouldn't advise messing with the EFI chip, as it could totally brick the Mac. I don;t think you can bypass it, since it is tied to an Apple ID. Here is Apple's information on the firmware password: How to set a firmware password on your Mac

Correct - it is my understanding that firmware passwords prevent using the startup manager to boot from an external drive or anything other than the macOS startup partition until it is disabled.

C

Ask a Question