Finder completely unresponsive, even after reboots

Reaction score
Hi,

All of a sudden my MacBook Pro 2014 has completely gone haywire.

Whenever i use my mac, the finder instantly becomes unresponsive and crashes the computer. Once i relaunch it, I can briefly access other software, e.g safari, but as soon as i go back to the desktop, or use finder, the computer crashes again.

Interestingly, when finder crashes, every icon on my desktop disappears.

This occurs constantly, after numerous reboots, starting in safe mode, forced shut downs etc. I've got a feeling its linked to a file I downloaded from the internet the other day. (which I can't delete because i can't access finder!)

Note: I logged into a new user and the laptop works completely fine - suggesting it is something software related?

Please can you guys advise me on how I can fix this? If you need to ask any questions please do!

Thanks,

Josh

Reaction score
What Mac OS are you using? And have you been making backups to an external drive?

Reaction score
You might want to look at this article: http://osxdaily.com/2015/04/10/fix-finder-problems-mac-os-x/

Your story actually reminds me of my suffering. I use a MacBook Pro as well. Back in 2015, one day there was something wrong with Finder, it was super slow to open, worse yet, I couldn't save new files to desktop. And soon the tragedy happened, my Mac went black and wouldn't turn on. I scheduled an appointment with Apple Genius Bar, and the geek told me my hard drive was died (done completely). Now I use a new SSD, with the same MacBook though.

The point is -- make sure you have proper data backup, then head to a local Apple Store and have a technician look at it. Best to do it as soon as possible, in case the situation is more serious than you thought.

Personal advise.

Reaction score
You might want to look at this article: http://osxdaily.com/2015/04/10/fix-finder-problems-mac-os-x/

Your story actually reminds me of my suffering. I use a MacBook Pro as well. Back in 2015, one day there was something wrong with Finder, it was super slow to open, worse yet, I couldn't save new files to desktop. And soon the tragedy happened, my Mac went black and wouldn't turn on. I scheduled an appointment with Apple Genius Bar, and the geek told me my hard drive was died (done completely). Now I use a new SSD, with the same MacBook though.

The point is -- make sure you have proper data backup, then head to a local Apple Store and have a technician look at it. Best to do it as soon as possible, in case the situation is more serious than you thought.

Personal advise.

Well said, Jess, and excellent advice. Also,one needs to perform disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs on a frequent basis. That will go a long way to maintaining the health of a drive (HDD or SSD).

Reaction score
Hi,

Just my thoughts but OP did mention software, and many 3rd party software apps cause finder to do this. Such as totalfinder - gotomypc - Docker even Dump Truck to name a few.

So I ask the OP if they have any such software installed?

Reaction score
If such third party software was not upgraded for Sierra compatibility, that will cause issues also. That is exactly why I have not upgraded yet to Sierra, as an update for TechTool Pro has not been released yet.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Hi, Just my thoughts but OP did mention software, and many 3rd party software apps cause finder to do this. Such as totalfinder - gotomypc - Docker even Dump Truck to name a few. So I ask the OP if they have any such software installed?

Could be on to something there, weird how the OP stated that in another account there were no such issues .... makes me think it might be user based.

suthy1194 said:
Note: I logged into a new user and the laptop works completely fine - suggesting it is something software related?

Ask a Question