Need a Duplicate File Finder

Reaction score
I'm new to this Forum and this may be the right place to post.
I have just upgraded to High Sierra. My hard drive died and I had to do a restore from my back up. I had made a number of copies of Quicken files when I was testing the program and I have mega copies of the files. I did the same thing with photos.

I need a duplicate file finder to do clean up. Using Finder has been suggested for Sierra and I find it impossible to use with so many files. In Quicken there is no "replace" option, so every time I made or didn't make changes and saved the file it needed a new name. Now I have so many files I don't know where to begin.

I googled, and found Gemini 2 and Cisdem Duplicate Finder, yes, Gemini 2 has many reviews, but still has bad reviews for it can't find some duplicate files, and I tried both, seems Cisdem Duplicate Finder found more duplicates, but it is limited to remove them for free trial version.

Well, anyone here have experience with the Duplicate Finder I tried? what DFF would you suggest for use with Sierra?
Thank you.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

That doesn't sound correct for Quicken...it should automatically save your changes to the file that you open. Also, you can set it to keep backup files in the preferences. Which version of Quicken?

I am not a big fan of duplicate finder apps. In my experience, it is better to manually find, compare, and delete duplicates. You can use Spotlight to find them, organize them by date, use QuickLook on some files to view them, and delete from there. I know it sounds daunting, but at least you are in control and know what you are deleting.

C

Reaction score
Hello Cory,
It's QuickTime 10.4.
Thanks for your advice, I think it too difficult to find all the copied videos and photos manually, so I am wondering using a duplicate finder. But thanks anyway. :)
BTW, Merry Christmas!

Ask a Question