fileservice f. macs and pcs over wlan behind router

Reaction score
hi everyone,
maybe somebody can help me to find a solution to get filesharing working.
i run osx server 10.4.7 on a g5. this machine is also used for daily tasks. (not admin user) the pcs and macs are connected via wlan to a fritz box fon (wlan+voip-router) to the internet. the macs can connect to the server by entering the ip of the server but can't see the server in the network pane. i don't run dns on the server. the server is also connected via airport not via ethernet. the pcs can't connet at all. i could not figure out how to switch of nat on the router.
thank you for help. phil

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Phil and welcome !

Have you turned on SMB file sharing, to allow the PC's access ?

Have you set up user names and Passwords for the PC's ?

Have a read of this doc and this one to see if it helps.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
hey thanks for the quik post.
//Have you turned on SMB file sharing, to allow the PC's access ?//
yes.
//Have you set up user names and Passwords for the PC's ?//
yes. the only effect is that i can see entries in the fast user switch tab of the server...
Have a read of this doc and this one to see if it helps.
i overflew them already, everything seems logic for me. so to be honest i didn't read every word.

also confusing for me is the thing that i can't find a szenario for wlan only networks.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

if you can see the names in the 'fast user switching bit' then you have set them up in the wrong place.

You have set up User accounts for different people to use that Mac, this is not want you want to do.

You need to use the "Workgroup Manager" application to set up the Users.

Without using the 'RTM' quote, you do need to re read the OS X Server Manuals...this is the User one.

The OS X server is quite a beast to get to grips with, but I'm afraid you do need to go through each manual to get an understanding of it.

regards

Ric

Ask a Question