File Vault Recovery Key Changed After Latest macOS Updates (14.4 & 14.4.1) - Anyone Else?

Reaction score
Hey everyone! After updating my Mac to versions 14.4 and then 14.4.1, I encountered a message stating that the File Vault Recovery Key has been updated. Seems like a significant issue to me. Has anyone else experienced this? What's happening here?

Reaction score
Hey @Johnnx1991 ,

That sounds quite unusual but not entirely unheard of. Generally, the FileVault recovery key should remain the same unless you manually choose to change it or if some significant system changes occur, like switching your Apple ID or reformatting your disk.
Here are a few points to consider and steps you might take:
  1. System Integrity: Sometimes, macOS updates might trigger security protocols within the system to enhance data protection, potentially including a reset or update of the FileVault key. It's important to ensure that you record the new recovery key somewhere secure.
  2. Check for Official Documentation: Apple occasionally publishes release notes and support documents related to updates. Check if there’s any mention of changes to FileVault or security features in the latest updates for macOS 14.4 and 14.4.1.
  3. Contact Apple Support: Given the sensitivity of encryption and recovery keys, it might be a good idea to reach out to Apple Support for clarification. They can provide specific reasons behind the change in the recovery key, especially if it’s related to the update.
  4. Review Security Settings: Go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > FileVault and check the status. Ensure everything looks correct and note any changes. It’s crucial to keep your recovery key in a secure location separate from your computer.
  5. Backup Your Data: Whenever there's a significant change or update to security settings like FileVault, it’s a good practice to back up your data. Use Time Machine or another backup method to secure your files just in case.
  6. Forum and Community Insights: Besides reaching out to Apple, checking in with forums like the Apple Support Community or other tech forums might provide insights from other users who have experienced similar issues.
If this change was unexpected, it's definitely important to follow up to ensure the security of your system. Keep an eye on any additional communications from Apple in case they provide updates or further instructions regarding this change.

Reaction score
I have the same issue.... every update over the last few months has reset my file vault key (not prompted me to reset it, but posted a new key code in huge letters across the screen) - absolutely unacceptable 'glitch' if it is a glitch. I don't know why some users are experiencing this and others aren't, unless there is a network hack happening (I'm in china, so...)

Ask a Question