Filevault recovery

Reaction score
Heres the scenario

15.4" MacBook Pro (Retina) 2014

- Filevault 2 on with icloud recovery

- uninstall OS and erase drive

- reinstall OS, with same icloud account, with or without Filevault activated

(lets assume that data can be recovered with the right software. My question is about filevault)

Will I be able to recover any files/data from when my previous OS was installed?

Heres my thought process:

I should not be able to recover any files because they are encrypted with Filevault.

However, because I am using the same icloud account, and Filevault on my previous OS was activated with icloud recovery, perhaps the recovery software will be able to recover files because the encryption of the previous Filevault is unlocked with my icloud account.

Definitely let me know if I am making absolutely no sense :)

Thanks

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

DO NOT erase your hard drive. iCloud FileVault recovery does not backup your files to iCloud. It only allows you to unlock FileVault if you forget the password, by storing a recovery key.

Honestly, I never recommend using FileVault, as many people have lost all of their files by forgetting the password, losing the recovery key, hard drive failure, FileVault corruption, etc.

-What is it you are trying to do exactly?
-We strongly suggest that you have a Time Machine or other backup of your data on another drive.

C

Ask a Question