All About Filevault

Reaction score
Just now learning about Filefault, and hoping you can assist.

First, for the benefit of anyone who knows even less than I, here's what seems to be a pretty good article about Filevault.

https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/enable-filevault-encryption-mac/2/

My main question is, does Filevault work on drives which have been partitioned? I have two partitions, one for Yosemite, another for Snow Leopard. The article suggests there may be problems with this, and I'm hoping to learn more about that.

Thanks.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

A very quick comment: I highly advise you NOT to enable FileVault. It causes far more issues than the protection it offers, which most people do not need.

More to come when I have more time,

C

Reaction score
Well, that's interesting. Look forward to further details, as your time permits.

Reaction score
Hi,

As far as I know FileVault should only be enabled on a single system drive containing only the OS X and Recovery partitions. Many have reported big problems when enabling FileVault and FileVault2 on drives with additional partitions like you have. So as Cory said I would stay away form it, just my thoughts as I to have never used it.

Reaction score
Thanks oldscribe, appreciate the feedback.

What is the group consensus on Filevault if I follow the rules and have only a single partition (plus Recovery) on my boot drive?

If Filevault safe if used as directed? Or is this one of Apple's fiascos? Or?

Reaction score
Hi Ormond,

Just my personal preference here, but in general I hate passwords etc due to lack of brain cells and Alzheimer's :confused::rolleyes: so FileVault for me is a big NO NO.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK...here's a bit more about FileVault:

-If you forget the password, you lose access to all of your data - there is no way around the encryption
-It takes up quite a bit more hard drive space to encrypt/decrypt your files
-Many people have lost all of their data because their Mac experienced a software/hardware failure, which caused FileVault corruption
-It slows your Mac down due to the background encryption/decryption
-It has never fully worked properly since its introduction
-It is really only needed for enterprise/governmental institutions that require far more data security than the general consumer

In summary, I strongly advise folks NOT to use FileVault, as it is not needed and has always had too many problems.

C

Reaction score
Ah, I see now, more crap from Apple. What a surprise. Anybody starting to get why I'm cynical about these things? Anyway, thanks for the heads up Cory, much appreciated.

So how should one keep one's data private? Let's say your Mac suddenly dies and you have to take it in to the shop. Do you want some random collection of strangers digging around in your files?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Having been in the industry for as long as I have, and having serviced thousands of Macs, I can honestly tell you that most folks in this business don't have the time or the desire to root around in your files. If you don't give them your account password, that prevents access for all but the most skilled technicians. You actually have far greater data security exposure via the Internet - especially your personal/financial information when purchasing things/creating accounts online.

I have come across folks that are extremely paranoid about their data, or their Macs contain data for business/government, and they simply removed their hard drive when having their Mac serviced. Of course, if it isn't a user-serviceable drive, then that presents another problem. Most Apple service providers understand data security concerns, and are willing to take the steps necessary to protect your data and put their customers at ease.

C

Reaction score
I hear you Cory, but...

As part of my upgrade from good old Snow Leopard to modern OSX I'm trying to also upgrade my understanding of security. Thus my interest in services like Firewall and Filevault, OSX features added by Apple, presumably upon the theory that they are useful services.

We shall see. Given my ignorance I'm coming to no conclusions for now. I'll keep listening and learning.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Understood.

Apple's Firewall and FileVault (10.3 Panther) have been around since before Snow Leopard. You can do an Internet search on both to learn the pros and cons, but there will be some overly paranoid responses included in the findings.

Personally, I have never used either, as I am comfortable with the other security features of OS X and my own setup practices. My AirPort Extreme Base Station (router) provides enough of a hardware firewall for my Internet usage, as do most third-party routers. Diligent creation/maintenance of passwords, and careful selectivity of what personal/financial information I provide online is good enough for me. My user account password, use of an encrypted 1Password Vault for passwords (not written down on paper), and careful storage of private digital documents, keeps me at ease as far as data security. Constant monitoring of account activity online ensures nothing goes unnoticed. Multiple data backups in multiple locations protects my valuable data in case of theft or home disasters.

You could easily end up spending a lot of money and time on security, but most of it isn't worth the effort. Of course, people have different comfort levels for these things, so to each his own.

C

Reaction score
I take all your points, and don't really disagree. But we are in pretty different situations. You're probably a lot more comfortable with your security, because you're much more experienced at Mac things.

Reaction score
Ah, I see now, more crap from Apple. What a surprise. Anybody starting to get why I'm cynical about these things? Anyway, thanks for the heads up Cory, much appreciated.

So how should one keep one's data private? Let's say your Mac suddenly dies and you have to take it in to the shop. Do you want some random collection of strangers digging around in your files?

I myself have never needed to use File Vault, but I do have the Firewall turned on via the Mac OS (I believe that is the default). Of course, I am "paranoid" about keeping my machines "lean and clean", which goes a heck of a long way to substantially reducing/just about eliminating security issues.

For a disaster, that is why I preach so, so strongly about having a bootable, clone backup, such as SuperDuper! does. For only $27.95, it is a superior backup/cloning program that just works. Also, by having such a bootable clone, it is just about like having another machine. I suspect I could boot either of my Macs every day from the bootable clone, and it would work just fine. Also, having such a backup allows me to easily recover from a disaster, such as you describe.

And, by having the bootable clone, and some extra disk maintenance/repair software, one can, in most cases, do their own repairs. It all depends on how much one is willing to learn, and do on their own. Come to think of it, that's just like the analogy I pointed out before about automobiles, and in particular, Toyotas. And I have another example from automobiles. Batteries these days are supposedly so maintenance free. Yet even when the car is turned off, the battery is still (albeit, slowly) being drained. That is one reason why I am so happy to have purchased a Battery Tender Plus:

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tend...56&sr=8-4&keywords=battery+charger+motorcycle

about 2 years ago. That $50 investment helps me keep the batteries in each of our cars fully charged, thus helping them last longer.

You can do yourself a HUGE favor by purchasing and using such a program as SuperDuper!. Carbon Copy Cloner does the same thing, although it also backs up the (hidden) Recovery HD partition (it costs $39.95). But, for me, that is not as issue, as 1) I have a couple of more robust disk maintenance/repair programs in TechTool Pro and Disk Warrior, 2) it can easily be re-created, and 3) on a clean, "virgin" installation of the Mac OS, it gets created anyway.

Reaction score
One other thing I forgot to mention is that I will never, never use an "off line" service for my backups, including iCloud. One is just asking for trouble by doing that.

Reaction score
You can do yourself a HUGE favor by purchasing and using such a program as SuperDuper!.

Been using it for years Hone, and yea, it's a great app!

In fact, I exchanged emails with the developer a few days ago. He has the best autoresponder on the net, pretty darn funny.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
In fact, I exchanged emails with the developer a few days ago. He has the best autoresponder on the net, pretty darn funny.
Yes, Dave is a great guy. He and I are acquaintances from years ago. He was very helpful to the members of the currently defunct Mac Owners Support Group (MacOSG) forums, of which I was an Administrator. And, he's located not far from me in MA.

C

Reaction score
Been using it for years Hone, and yea, it's a great app!

Excellent, Ormon! Not sure, then, why you'd be concerned if something happened to your machine. You have the bootable backup.

What about a Battery Tender Plus, Ormon? If you don't have one, you need to get one. Excellent piece of gear, just like SuperDuper! is!

Reaction score
Yes, Dave is a great guy. He and I are acquaintances from years ago. He was very helpful to the members of the currently defunct Mac Owners Support Group (MacOSG) forums, of which I was an Administrator. And, he's located not far from me in MA.

C

Good to hear that is helpful. SuperDuper! is an excellent product!

Reaction score
Excellent, Ormon! Not sure, then, why you'd be concerned if something happened to your machine. You have the bootable backup

Hi there Hone,

We're getting two issues confused here.

You are of course entirely right about backups, and it's good you keep making that point because obviously there are many who need to hear it. Keep on ringing that bell, as you're saving many people much grief by doing so.

However, this thread isn't really about my Mac crashing etc, but about locking out snoopers etc from seeing my data. As great as it is, SuperDuper doesn't help with that.

BTW, when I contacted Dave the other day regarding my upgrade of SuperDuper, he responded with the information I needed in literally less than a minute. Being a spoiled brat Net user, I was outraged that it took so long. :)

When I complimented his dog on the authorship of his wonderful autoresponder and suggested his dog should get a raise, he wrote back...

"WOOF!"

I'm nominating Dave for nerd standup comic of the year. :)

Reaction score
Yo Ormon (sounds like "Yo Adrian! :):)),

Here is what you said above:

That is what I was responding to, as your Mac could "suddenly" die for numerous reasons (especially if one lives in a dream world and expects things to just work).

You should re-read Cory's posts above about all the prevention he does. I follow similar guidelines, and like him, I have 1Password, which I highly recommend.

And, one of my neighbors recently obtained a Battery Tender Plus, and when I congratulated him, he said he was all charged up! Classic, classic response!

Ask a Question