File vault issue

Reaction score
i think file vault is locking me out. But there is no place to enter FV PWRs. After entering MacBook PW it spins a full minute and shuts down. Tried safe mode but perhaps incorrectly. Guest user opens but Safari is too degraded to run you tube. It's a 2006 MacBook with about the newest OS it will accept. Mt Lion I think. It has not opened since a local shop copied my files to a newer MacBook.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

This could be a tough issue to fix, since a corrupted FileVault is impossible to crack. This is the exact scenario which prevents me from ever recommending that folks use FileVault.

-Which exact model Mac? There are two versions of the MacBook from 2006 - the original which will run up to 10.6.8, and the Late 2006, which will run up to 10.7.5.
-Do you have any way of determining the exact version of OS X?
-Do you need any of the data off the old MacBook, since it was migrated to your newer Mac?

C

Reaction score
Thanks Cory for the reply. I really appreciate your help.

Yes, I guess you have a point. That is what they told me at the shop when I picked up this 2010 MacBook. They said they because of File Vault I would have no further access to data. I was in such a hurry that day I did not ask any more questions. And after two years I have not noticed any files missing on my newer machine. However, it may be years before I need some things. And I hate to disturb anything that works because most often it seems any change brings widespread failure.

Can you tell me what did they have to do to File Vault in order to get my data? And What good is File Vault if my data could be transferred without the File Vault Pass Key (which I have)?

Thanks again.
J

Reaction score
This could be a tough issue to fix, since a corrupted FileVault is impossible to crack. This is the exact scenario which prevents me from ever recommending that folks use FileVault.

Are there other more reliable ways to encrypt disks, or perhaps just folders and files? For instance, is a password protected disk image an alternative method of addressing security concerns? Or maybe third party software?

This thread explores the fact that OSX password protection of user accounts may be thin protection indeed, thus alternative security methods seem worth exploring.

Reaction score
FileVault is a perfectly acceptable way to encrypt your hard drive (from a full-disk encryption stand point).

Sounds like they may have removed/deleted your home directory after copying the data.

If you are wanting to use the system, it is likely best to simply do a clean/fresh install of the latest, supported operating system.

Ask a Question