File extension confusion

Reaction score
I came across some VERY important/sentimental clips of my grandchildren and I when they were very young. An example of the file name is IMG_0311.mov. I am 100% positive they are video as I remember them distinctly. They were shot on an iphone (5 I think). When I open them on my imac desktop, it immediately opens a convert window. When I hit play it's only one frame long. I tried to convert with compressor, toast and tried importing directly into fcpx. Any help is greatly apprieciated.

Reaction score
I came across some VERY important/sentimental clips of my grandchildren and I when they were very young. An example of the file name is IMG_0311.mov. I am 100% positive they are video as I remember them distinctly. They were shot on an iphone (5 I think). When I open them on my imac desktop, it immediately opens a convert window. When I hit play it's only one frame long. I tried to convert with compressor, toast and tried importing directly into fcpx. Any help is greatly apprieciated.
Can you right-click/option-click on the file? Go to Open With and a list of pertinent apps will appear. Select the one of your choice for playing .mov files—probably Quicktime Player. If you want a more versatile movie/video player, you can download VLC.app. It’s freeware.

Reaction score
Hi Tony,
Thanks for your response. I did try that (everything including vlc) . My guess is when they xfered everything to my new phone, it just went as photos. Thanks again for the reply. Take care

Ask a Question