File extension issues

Reaction score
I have recently converted to a Mac from a lifetime of PC use. So far I really like it but there are a few quirks that are creating some problems.

I receive e-mails that have attached files that I can open, but the window looks like it has nothing but chinese writing in it (not sure what it really is). It appears that the file has a file extension that doesn't work with my mac set up. For example file extension wmv. I have Office Mac 2008 loaded if that helps any. I do not get any error messages.

While I had dual computers running during my conversion from the PC to the Mac, the Mac would have this problem and the PC would open correctly.

How do I go about getting other file extensions to work on my make like they did on my PC?:confused:

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The reviews for the new/current version of Flip4Mac are not very good. Apparently the time it take to open these files is very long (several minutes).

Is this the only software that can be used for this?

Reaction score
Reviews can be misleading. I never had to wait several seconds, let alone several minutes, for Flip4Mac to play a WMV file. However, if you're concerned about reviews, you might want to check out VLCPlayer.

Reaction score
Walrus666...........thanks for the reply and the help. I installed Flip4Mac this morning and it works fine. This is a very helpful site for us new/more inexperienced Mac users.........or for the less techy sort.......like me.

Ask a Question