Changing File Extensions

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone could explain to me how to change a file extension from .doc to .avi. I know on a Windows you just rightclicked it to rename it, but when I click to download the file (from MegaUpload) it automatically starts downloading it in my download box and doesn't offer me the option of changing the file name.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Bflywings

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone could explain to me how to change a file extension from .doc to .avi. I know on a Windows you just rightclicked it to rename it, but when I click to download the file (from MegaUpload) it automatically starts downloading it in my download box and doesn't offer me the option of changing the file name.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Bflywings
Hello, first of all, you have to have the "Show all file extensions" box checked in the Finder preferences (See attachment). Secondly, click once on the name of the file, wait a couple of seconds and click the name of the file again to highlight it. Once the name is highlighted you can either click the delete key or click after the last letter of the file's name that you want to change and then press delete, then type in a new name. You might want to be careful about renaming file extensions, if they're renamed they could open up in different apps or perhaps they might not open at all. I would covert the entire file not the extension. ;)

Attachments

• FinderPrefs.jpg
    FinderPrefs.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 348
Reaction score
On a Mac you can do exactly the same after the file is downloaded. The system will ask you whether you really want to do that. After you file downloads, just click once on the file name. It will highlight. Hit the right arrow key and your cursor will be at the end of the file name and extension. Just backspace and enter the extension you want. Now, keep in mind that switching from .doc to .avi is quite a change. Simply changing the extension name may not work if the file is not an avi file.

Ask a Question