External DVD Player Problems With My MacBook Air

Reaction score
Hi, Everyone!

I recently purchased an external DVD drive (USB 2.0 Slim Portable Optical Drive) for my MacBook Air laptop (M1, 2020, macOS Ventura 13.0). Admittedly, it didn't cost me a lot of money ($13.83, tax included, free shipping). The problem that I am having is that while the DVD player plays my CDs perfectly fine, it does not play any of my DVDs, even though the external DVD drive is supposed to play both types of discs.

My question is does anyone know of any free computer software that I can download that would allow my computer to be able to read and play my DVDs with this new external DVD drive that I purchased? Or is there another solution anyone knows of that can get my DVDs playing on this external DVD drive?

Thanks for reading!

Reaction score
Thanks, MacsBug, for reaching out!

I tried VLC to no avail.

Is there any way I can play a DVD on a DVD Player that is from a different region from me?

Reaction score
You will need to search the web for a hack or tool that will make your DVD drive region free.

I have not used a DVD drive in years so I don't know of any off hand.

Reaction score
You will need to search the web for a hack or tool that will make your DVD drive region free.

I have not used a DVD drive in years so I don't know of any off hand.
I appreciate all of your help, MacsBug. I returned the external dvd drive. I bought another one for quite a bit more. But, hey, at least it works. 🙂

Ask a Question