External drives keep ejecting

Reaction score
I have a 2018 MBP running 10.14.6. I use a GUD3C03 Iogear usb hub to run a big monitor and a couple of USB drives. One holds video and audio assets. The other is for Time Machine backup. Lately, the time machine won't backup. It starts and ejects. I've reformatted it a couple times- MAC OS journaled, but same thing. The data drive is more stable but ejects occasionally, mostly if I plug something else into the hub.. Any thoughts?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello.

-Which exact model is your 2018 MBP?
-What brand/model are the USB drives?
-Are the bus-powered, or do they have a separate power supply?

I took a look at the IOGEAR GUD3C03 hub on their website. It seems to be a powered hub, using your MBP's USB-C power adapter. It uses 15W to power the hub ports, and can pass through 45W to charge your MBP. Depending on your model, you may not be getting enough pass-through power to the USB drives and your MBP. That can cause drives to unmount randomly, especially since you stated that the issue occurs when you plug something else into the hub.

You can test it out, by removing the hub from the equation, and make direct connections of the USB drives and displays. See if they remain mounted in that setup.

Let us know how that goes,

C

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response. Because the MBP has nothing but USB C ports, I have no way to connect the USB drive to the Mac without the hub. However, I can try a few things and order an adapter. Thanks!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

It does sound like a possible power issue...not enough to power/charge the MBP and connect a couple of USB bus-powered drives with the external display. Before ordering anything, try it with just a single USB drive connected to the hub - without the external display. If that works, add the second drive, then the display.

If the issue persists, separate USB-C to USB adapter(s) may work for the drives, since they will be connected directly and not to the IOGEAR hub, and not have to deal with the USB-C power adapter for the MBP.

C

Reaction score
You were right- after Isolating all the issues, it was that there was too much running thru that hub at once. tried just the Time Machine, and it backed up immediately. Thanks!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries...glad that helped.

I guess it was power-related.

Stay healthy and safe.

C

Ask a Question