Experiencing issues with finder and applications

Reaction score
I have a Macbook Pro, and I am currently running OS X 10.6.8. My first difficulties with Finder started around a week ago. Finder would routinely go unresponsive and I would have to relaunch it. However, after several restarts and shutdowns, that magically resolved itself. I first noticed my current problem when I was trying to use Google Chrome. Chrome would display a new or untitled tab, and would not go to the Google homepage. Additionally, If I typed anything into the search bar it would fail to conduct a search or move out of the new/untitled tab. I decided to reinstall Google Chrome, so I put it in the trash and downloaded it again from the web. However, when I tried to copy the newly downloaded Chrome into my applications folder it said that it could not do so because the file already existed. Glancing at my applications folder I saw that Chrome was not in it. However, when I scrolled down in the applications folder and then scrolled back up to the G section I saw that Google Chrome had magically appeared back in its place. Whenever I attempt to open Chrome it immediately closes itself and I am greeted with the message "Google Chrome cannot be opened because of a problem. Check with the developer to make sure that Google Chrome works with this version of Mac OS X. You may need to reinstall the application. Be sure to install any available updates for the application and Mac OS X." There are no updates available for Chrome or my OS and I have tried reinstalling Google Chrome several times with the same result. I know that this issue is not limited to Google Chrome because it is also affecting other applications. When I try to open Steam it immediately closes itself. I have not tried reinstalling Steam because I expect that the result will be similar to the one I am experiencing with Chrome. Wondering if it was a virus, I decided to download the avast! Free virus scanning and protection software. However I encountered the same issue that I did when I tried to reinstall Google Chrome ("cannot complete the operation because an application with the name avast! already exists", even though I have never downloaded avast! before. Avast! magically appeared in my applications folder, but when I try to open it the application closes without even a message). I have looked through dozens of forum help threads and been to the Google, Apple, and Steam support pages, but I have found no solution to my problem. However, as a result of reading these threads I have concluded that the problem is with Finder, and not with the applications I wish to use. If anyone has experienced my problem before or knows how to fix it please let me know.

Reaction score
Hi,

Avast must ask if you have boot camped? If not try using disk utility and repair permissions.

Reaction score
Thanks for responding. I'm not currently running bootcamp. I'm no computer expert so I don't really understand what you mean by "using disk utility and repair permissions." I would really appreciate if you could clarify what you mean by that.

Reaction score
Hi,

Open your applications folder on the dock, now open the utility's folder and look for the disk utility icon and click to open it.
In the new window on the left choose your disk and below the big white box you will see two boxes one is verify permissions and one is repair click repair and let it run.

Also after you have done this I would personally recommend you uninstall Avast, Macs don't get viruses. :)

And possibly l would look at AppZapper for full program deletion, if interested look here
http://appzapper.com/

Reaction score
It's currently repairing. It estimates that it will be finished in approximately one day and three hours. Apparently I have quite a bit to repair...

Reaction score
Hi,

That time frame may well decrease but defiantly let it run, yes seems there are many issues, so lets hope all is well after this repair. once disk utility has completed I would shut down leave five mins then restart ( not just reboot) then post back how things look and software is running.

Reaction score
Well, the computer has now verified and repaired my permissions and it looks like at least one thing is better. This time I was able to download and install a new Google Chrome from the Internet. However, it still retains the old issue where it just stays as a new tab or blank page and doesn't show any of the options like search, youtube, store, etc. Also, when I enter things into the search bar nothing happens. Steam still has the old issue of quitting as soon as I try to open it.

Reaction score
Finder is all better. Firefox and Safari are both working fine (if they weren't I would be able to type this).

Reaction score
Hi,

That's good news, so the MBPS is running fine again.:) Regarding the steam crashes try this.
1) Change your startup tab to something else than the store.
In Preferences > Interface tab > Favourite widow > select Library.

Sorry I can not offer suggestions re chrome as I have never used it. But if you go to its preferences > general then I would have thought you could set a home page IE google with its search bar, also look at the tabs icon to see how you have new pages set to be displayed yours might be set to open a blank page.

Ask a Question