eSATA HD - imac connection problem

Reaction score
Hello. First time using this forum. My eSATA HD with container works well once its icon appears on my desktop, but it recently has been very slow to appear, and getting slower (more than twenty minutes), with a little repititous beep during the wait. When my imac wakes up the device disconnect warning message immediately appears, the device icon disappears, and the wait to appear again repeats. Very recently I sometimes need to turn off the HD and turn it on again for success. Can I make a repair myself? My imac is a g4 with OS 10.3.9, so it's pretty dated. The HD is an eSATA/FireWire/USB2.0 500GB. (The FireWire part always disconnects during use. If I can find the cable I will see if the stated problem applies to it. Hoping for help!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It sounds like it could be the enclosure connection that is starting to fail, or even the FireWire port on the iMac.

-Which exact model iMac G4?
-What brand/model is the drive enclosure?

C

Reaction score
Thanks for responding! My imac processor is a 700 MHz PowerPC G4 (2.1), with 384 MB RAM. The internal HD is 32 GB. It dates from about 2004, and works flawlessly. Browser now useless, though; my internet connection is through my phone only. The enclosure: Macally model PHR - S100SUA, S/N 9441000815. Again, enclosed is a 500 GB eSATA/FireWire/USB2.0, purchased in 2009. Only 20 GB left but I don't try to fill it. As mentioned, the FireWire connection regularly disconnected after several minutes of use, which I understand is a well known problem. I've had this problem occasionally with the USB connection, too, before the stated issue began. Unfortunately I can't find the FW cable to test against my stated issue. The eSATA is backed up, and know I should back up again soon, but If there is a sure easy cheap fix here I want to try it.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

It sounds like it could be the enclosure. You could try to find another that you could transfer the hard drive to. It may be a bit difficult to find an enclosure these days that supports FireWire 400 and USB however. Or, it could be just due to the age of the iMac, as it may be starting to have hardware issues.

If you have another Mac, you could see if the issue persists with it and the Macally. If not, then it is the iMac itself.

C

Reaction score
Okay, thanks for the help. I'll look into whether I can find the right enclosure; if I can and do the job myself I will have learned some know-how whatever the outcome. I'll post the results.

Ask a Question