Transfering old Imac to new Imac

Reaction score
I am curently running an older imac, and OS x El Capitan. I just bought a new Imac and want to get that set up, and want to transfer data from old to new.

Question: I want to use Microsoft Office Home/Student. When do I purchase and download this during the startup and transfer process? I don't want to transfer the old MS Office version I have.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

What version of macOS is the new iMac running - Catalina/Big Sur?

When performing a migration, you can choose to only migrate user data and not system and applications. But, that would require you to reinstall any software you had on the older iMac.

You would purchase and install the new version after the migration, as you cannot install software during the migration. If you do the migration, macOS will let you know if your older version is not compatible. You could always uninstall it on the old Mac before performing the migration, as it would not transfer then. Or, migrate it and uninstall it, or sometimes the Microsoft Installer will recognize an older version and prompt to or uninstall it during installation.

Hope that helps.

C

Ask a Question