Entire Keyboard Won't Work After Cleaning

Reaction score
I cleaned my Macbook Air keyboard with Lysol spray a couple nights ago, and the keyboard stopped working completely shortly afterwards. The Geniuses at the Apple Store told me I have to pay for a replacement or get an external keyboard.

HOWEVER, one of the Geniuses added that it's possible for this problem to eventually go away, since the liquid is cleaner and not something sticky like fruit juice. I quite simply can't afford any kind of replacement, including the external keyboard.

In your experience, does this situation sort itself out? Is the Lysol cleaner going to have substantial lasting damage? I sincerely hope not and am earnestly seeking helpful advice!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Unfortunately, Lysol is not a recommended cleaning agent for nothing that Apple manufactures. In addition, if you spray any liquid directly on a keyboard, you run a great risk of damaging it. Any cleaning solution should be applied very lightly to the cleaning cloth, and then the cloth can be used to clean the equipment.

The Apple Store Genius is correct - it is physical damage, not a manufacturing defect, so you will need to purchase a replacement. It may start to work at a later date, but if it does, it will probably be short-lived and fail soon after.

If you can't afford an Apple replacement, you can use pretty much and standard USB keyboard, which can be very inexpensive, until you can afford to replace it with an Apple part.

C

Ask a Question