Email migration

Reaction score
Hi I've got a 9yr old Mac mini which works fine but getting slow. I need to move from my Mac to pc but have 1000s of emails in the application that I need on my new PC....... Can it be done?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

If I understand your question correctly, you are trying to migrate emails from your Mac mini to a Windows PC, correct?

If so, that can be a difficult and involved task.
  • Which version of OS X/macOS is the Mac mini running?
  • How many email accounts?
  • Do you know how they are setup - POP or IMAP?
  • If you login to the email accounts via a web browser, do the emails appear there?
  • Are the emails stored in folders in the On My Mac section in the Mail application?
C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

If I understand your question correctly, you are trying to migrate emails from your Mac mini to a Windows PC, correct?

If so, that can be a difficult and involved task.
  • Which version of OS X/macOS is the Mac mini running?
  • How many email accounts?
  • Do you know how they are setup - POP or IMAP?
  • If you login to the email accounts via a web browser, do the emails appear there?
  • Are the emails stored in folders in the On My Mac section in the Mail application?
Thanks
A. Latest version
A. One account
A. POP
A. Log on via Mac not browser
A. Folders in On My Mac
Hope this helps a little.
Stuart

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

Yes, that helps. Because all of the email is stored locally on your Mac, it will be a manully-intensive process to move them to the PC. You will need to use the File > Export function in the Mail application to export all emails/folderws to an MBOX file. Then, depending on what mail application you will use on the PC, you will probably need some form of conversion application to get them into the correct format to enable you to import them on the PC.

I haven't ever migrated from a Mac to a Windows PC, so you may need to do some Internet searches related to what you will be using on the PC.

C

Ask a Question