Duplicated files and folders (virus???)

Reaction score
I noticed that I get duplicated files and folders on my mac. When I delete the file or folder both will be removed. When creating new files it seems to be happening at random.

For example in terminal:
Code:
Kidkic:atlasGUI kidkic$ ls -lah g_game-cluster-hexagon-fill-medium*.png
-rw-r--r--@ 1 kidkic  staff   812B Dec  4 13:44 g_game-cluster-hexagon-fill-medium.png
-rw-r--r--@ 1 kidkic  staff   812B Dec  4 13:44 g_game-cluster-hexagon-fill-medium.png

The duplicated generated files are messing up with my Unity builds. Is this a known bugg or maybe a Mac virus?

Reaction score
First, what exact Mac model are you using?

Secondly, what exact Mac OS are you using?

Third, does it happen with more than one application?

Fourt, are you making backups?

Reaction score
MacBookPro12,1
OSX 10.11.1

No backups more than dropbox and github for some projects.

Hard to find files issues because I need to list and manually find it in the terminal. Folders however the Finder can see. After a lot of looking it actually only seems to be happening in project folders opened with Unity3D. Maybe write to their forum and see if someone got the same issue. Just noticed it today and been running same version for a while now without any implications.

Reaction score
OK, understand. I am not familiar with Unity3D at all. Are there versions of that software available? If so, do they have an updated one for El Capitan? (By the way, was this happening while you were using a prior version of the Mac OS?).

Reaction score
unity3d.com

I've used same version of OSX and Unity for a while without having this issue. So what I know no new updates are made. So that's why I started to think if there's a known virus that does this.

and yes, I've tried turning the computer off and on =)

Reaction score
OK, try this software first:

https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/

Some other folks have used it to successfully remove problematic "stuff".

OS 10.11.1 came out in late October, and the "initial" OS 10.11 release was in late September. What OS were you using before that?

Additionally, you really need to start making backups. In fact, if you had made a bootable backup/clone using a product like either SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner prior to the beginning of this issue, you could have easily reverted to that "state" of your machine/system.

Reaction score
I've now run malwarebytes.org and full scan with Avira antivirus. After a restart it actually looks like the computer behaves better.

Superthanks honestone for the help. Will look into backups again.

Ask a Question