downloaded a tax application but it won't launch

Reaction score
I downloaded a safe, CRA recommended tax program (I had to use control click) and that was all fine but when I try to launch it it says "Studio Tax For Mac 2014 quit unexpectedly. Any solutions? My mac is 3 months old. Thanks!

Reaction score
Donna,

I am in the US, but I downloaded the Canadian Version of Studio Tax for Mac 2014, installed it, and it worked fine. Not sure why you are having trouble. Here is the page I went to for downloading it:

http://www.studiotax.com/en/?page=11

Also, why did you have to use Control Click? I did not have to use that at all, both when I downloaded it, installed it, and ran it.

By the way, I use TurboTax for my US Federal Return. I believe Intuit has free online version of TurboTax that can be used for Canadian Returns.

Reaction score
When I tried to download Studio Tax the computer told me I couldn't do it. The ? told me that I could hit control and click to download. Once downloaded it will not launch. I'm stumped.

Reaction score
Did you go to the exact link I provided, and then just click on where it says "2014", right next to where it says "Studio Tax 2014 for Mac"? That is exactly what I did (did it just again), and it worked. Again, no control click at all.

Reaction score
In doing research I see that this Mac version doesn't like anything but apple apps.

Reaction score
I know, but shouldn't there be a way around it? There is no app for Canadian Taxes. I tried it again and same problem. Would reloading OS x yosemite help?

Reaction score
I know, but shouldn't there be a way around it? There is no app for Canadian Taxes. I tried it again and same problem. Would reloading OS x yosemite help?

Really baffling why you are having issues! I use OS 10.10.2, and it works fine. Of course, I only started up the program to the first screen, as I am in the US, and thus it did not make sense to proceed any further.

Also, I just did it again, on my Mac Mini, under OS 10.10.2, and once again, no issues, no control click, and I was able to start up the program. I even selected "Create a New Return", and got a page with some questions. But of course, I stopped, and quit the program.

Also, not sure what you mean by the question mark in your statement "The ? told me that I could hit control and click to download". Please explain.

Are you having any other issues with any other program, and especially with third party apps? And, are you using the latest version of Yosemite (10.10.2)?

Additionally, note that "StudioTax for the Mac is only available in English and does not support Quebec provincial returns.". Are you doing Quebec provincial returns (whatever those are)?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I get the message 'studio tax for mac 2014.mpkg is from an unidentified developer. Are you sure you want to open it? Beside the icon open and cancel is a ?. when I click on the question mark it tells me how to open it. Open an app by overriding Security & Privacy preferences. You can open an app that isn't allowed to open by manually override the settings the security and privacy preferences. In the finder locate the app press control and click the app then choose open. I turned off my firewall and I tried again and it just won't launch. Now when I click on it to open in Finder it takes me back to the download, which I've already done.

Reaction score
Regarding the "unidentified developer" message, you are not changing the correct setting. When you open System Preferences, and then Security & Privacy, there are 4 "headings" that show up: General, FileVault, Firewall, and Privacy. You need to go into the one entitled "General". On the bottom of its screen you'll see the following:

Allow apps downloaded from:

Mac App Store
Mac App Store and identified developers
Anywhere

You'll need to "enable" the one that says Anywhere. (Most likely, the "padlock" icon will show as locked, and you'll first need to "unlock" it by clicking on it (you'll be next prompted for your password), and then you can enable Anywhere). That is what I had to do to open it, and then install it.

Reaction score
I changed the setting Anywhere but it still won't work. When I click on the icon in Finder it just keeps opening the download again (which I've already done).

Reaction score
tried again this am after rebooting my computer. checked to make sure Anywhere was still on first. download the program no problem. launched from applications - message is 2014 mac for tax quit unexpectedly. This is awful and frustrating.

Ask a Question